74 240D noise and parking brake question

I have a 1974 MB 240D, and there's an odd sound coming from the rear - while the wheels are spinning (in gear or not), it sounds like something is rubbing against a moving part in the rear. The sound becomes more frequent at higher speeds (duh), but I don't know enough about what's back there to determine what's going on.

Also, right now the parking brake is really loose - it sometimes doesn't catch even with the parking brake pedal to the floor. About a month ago, I cranked the star wheels on the rear wheels (parking brake adjustments?) to their maximum tightness, so that leads me to believe that either the parking brake cables are shot, or the brake shoes themselves are worn out. Is replacing parking brake parts a relatively easy DIY project, or should I take it somewhere and have it done? Thanks people.

Sunil

Reply to
Sunilito

well sounds like pads need to be replaced

there is also a center screw for cable adjustement beneath the car, in the back, above the cardan axle this is where it splits into the cables to both sides this also compensates cable lengthening through years and usage

there is a standard procedure in adjusting the parking brakes, I don't like to do it..cause it's not easy to hit exactly the point where break power is max and pads not draging if you get a repair kit for the drumbrakes...it not only includes the pads, but also the retaining springs and maybe eben the star excenter.

its a fairly easy job, but requires some patience with setting up pads and their retaining springs.

the sound u are mentioning is most likely a pad touching the drum cause u fastened the "star" too hard

that's how I do it:

jack up back of car with both rear wheels off the ground release parking brake loosen the centre bolt underneath the car all the way, where cable split loosen one bolt on each rear wheel tightend the "star" on both wheels, until can't be turned by hand go back 1 or 2 notches wheels should be able to turn by hand with ease now (disregarding transaxle resistance, of course) now srew in centre bolt under car until cables are pretty tight...not applying break power though

now set parking break to notsch 2 or 3...u should allready feel breaking power at the rear and not be able to turn the wheels by hand anymore u will probably not be able to get it all even...but there should be allready a difference

if not....chance pads...then adjust again

ok...hope u were able to follow most of this :O) alx

"Sunilito" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich