Mazda b2600 center universal

I have a vibration in driveshaft. I have read in hayes repair manual that there are differnet size clips to align the center universal. Has anyone had experience with aligning the center universal on a mazda this way.

Reply to
greg

I just did mine in my '82 626. Dunno what Haynes thinks (Since I've got the factory manual, I consider Haynes and Chiltons to be total garbage by comparison) but according to the factory manual, it's "one size fits all" for mine. Dunno what year your 2600 is, but I'd expect that it would be VERY similar, if not identical - At least until recently, Mazda tended to find something that worked, then they stuck with it for quite a while.

For example, from '79 to '82, 626s were identical in every way in "major" systems like drive train, suspension, brakes, and the core chunks of the body, with only minor differences in trim details, placement of idiot lights and/or switches in the dash, and so on to distinguish one year from another in that range. Never mind the fact that I can pull an engine and/or tranny from a Ford Courier or the Mazda-badged version (I think that would be the B2000?) in the 76-'85 range, and drop it into a '79-'82 626 without so much as a nut or bolt worth of difference - The only significant change would be that I'd end up with a slightly lower set of gear ratios if I brought the tranny along in the swap)

Reply to
Don Bruder

I would start by blocking the wheels and putting it in neutral. Then I would get under and inspect the u-joints for any sign of rust coming out of the caps and I would be twisting and pushing on each one looking for slop or play.

Only 0 for play or slop is acceptable. If there is rust coming out of a cap, the bearings are done and it needs a new one.

The clips would change the driveshaft angles or 'align' it. This is likely only needed if you change your springs for a different height and experience vibes.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain