Measure fuel consumption from injector signal?

Well you have supplied information about the switch and about your competence so that is what gets commented on - The rest is a guessing game

Not all injectors work the same You aren't going to come up with a universal device for Pre-OBDII cars that converts the injector signal into miles per gallon

However as a general proposition the duration of the pulse will correlate to fuel consumption so you should be able to tell if consumption increases or decreases. But not very accurately by how much.

I believe if you start with a ordinary car that gets 57 mpg, you can rig it with a switch so that when you flip the switch you get 34 mpg

but no I don't believe you can improve mileage that much with something that can be controlled by a switch. Increasing efficiency that much would have to involve a redesign of the engine and perhaps even the drive train.

Does "non-invasively" means not disconnecting anything or taking anything apart?

Measuring how much fuel is used for a specific repeatable drive cycle seems like the simplest way to get what you say you want.

Reply to
jim

Can you give some details on the differences? This whole thread has been about that issue. But no specifics have been disclosed.

I think that might be likely, but I'm still interested in the error terms and being all I can be.

That's what I'm counting on. But if I'm gonna write some code, it seems prudent to be as accurate as I know how.

You're being more generous that I am. 57MPG average repeatable sustained is preposterous for a 94 Honda with a stock 34MPG...no, I don't know which model, but I do know it wasn't an Insight.

I'm gonna clip a current transformer on the wire to an injector.

I agree, in theory. Practice is somewhat different. At 57MPG it takes a lot of miles to rack up enough consumption to accurately determine by reading the pump when you fill up.

Reply to
mike

Wow... that was harsh. I used to belong to several mpg groups, but gave up on them as most of the guys were pie-in-the-sky free energy guys. They had either put 2 ounces of acetone in the gas or a magnet on the fuel line and claimed wild results. A few guys had good results with aero mods on Metro's and claimed 55 -

60 mpg which passed the sniff test. I am ever leery of someone who has a new product that they 'arent allowed' to talk about, as they mostly seem to be tin foil hat types who use those silly hydrogen generators or the tornado intake swirleygig or a top secret 100 mpg carburetor that the oil companies would kill for... Good luck with your project.. it would be cool if you pull it off. The only way I have ever had any luck with repeatable mpg measurements was on a dyno with super accurate throttle instrumentation and small fuel runs.

Ben

Reply to
ben91932

-snip-

perhaps measuring actual fuel flow might be one approach:

removing injector variables, unless it's a looped rail system.

Reply to
AMuzi

For what he wants, this is all a waste of time and money. Seriously, essentially all of this mileage improvement crap is just a scam. If he wants a REAL answer, take the car and put it on a dynomometer. Dont fart around with cheap fixes that will tell you nothing.

Reply to
hls

That's the problem The OP wants cheap and easy. Neither of which will work on the vehicle in question. Total lack of understanding of the actual systems involved and the "I can't discuss much about it" BS.

Is it possible to design and build a car that gets very high mileage (say 50-75 mpg.) Yes. However it will be a vehicle like a Smart with very limited abilities and not something that is real practical outside of a large metropolitan area. Basically an enclosed moped.

Reply to
Steve W.

Don't forget the total lack of help from the newsgroup in understanding the actual systems involved.

I talked to a woman at a garage sale today. She was driving a Smart Car. She said she gets 38MPG.

I wouldn't mind driving a smart car type vehicle, but I'd expect better gas mileage for my trouble.

At 38MPG, Why bother.

Reply to
mike

I have tried them out and wouldn't drive one unless I absolutely had no choice.

Being a FF/EMT who carries a full gear bag, Med Kit, and some rescue gear in the vehicle at all times. Plus using it to tow the various trailers and the "fabulous" roads I usually drive on, I figure a Smart would probably last about a week. Just not a practical vehicle for my wife or myself.

What I would love to see would be a vehicle like an S-Blazer/Trailblazer sized rig with a diesel in it. I have driven a couple of the Jeep Liberties with the CRD engine. They were OK but I'm not real fond of the vehicle as a whole.

With some of the calls I have been on it would be great to have a vehicle that could set there idling for 3-4 hours without sucking my wallet dry!

Reply to
Steve W.

What you want is a Jeep hybrid. Plus you get plenty of available electric power in the field along with it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey