A bit OT: Handsfree car kits

I have been looking for a handsfree car kit, since my car is basically my office. I drove one car last week that didn't have a handsfree and it's a PITA.

I installed a Motorola HF-850, dedicated car kit (needs to be installed in the vehicle) and it is MAGNIFICENT! People say I sound like I'm on a land line, and can hear me even at 60 MPH with the windows down.

However, it requires a seaprate speaker. In my '89 Mazda, I don't care: I had another handsfree with a powered speaker already, so I just tapped into that. It looks nerdy, but it works very well.

Now, in my Scion, I don't want to mess things up, and am looking for one that can be tapped into the car stereo. I have an aftermarket CD/MP3 player, so the dedicated Toyota kits won't work.

Motorola also makes the T-605 with a 3.5mm input that patches through to the stereo, but for some odd reason, they didn't pass the Bluetooth into this connection! (I have one of those coming; I ordered it before I found this glitch...)

I have XM set up in all my cars, so I want to plug the XM receiver into the handsfree, and then into the car stereo, so calls come through the stereo's speakers. I could just get a new stereo, I guess.

I did find a Scosche BT-1200 that has an input, and if the output is patched into the line-in on your stereo, calls will come through that. But I'm a cheap SOB; I paid $25 for each of the Motorolas...

Anybody have a car kit that does what I want? There are others out there, but they require ISO connectors that neither my car nor stereo have....

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Why not get a car stereo that does Bluetooth hands free and XM?

Reply to
Evan Platt

Me, I'd look for a car stereo that has bluetooth stereo and not just bluetooth hands free and then use an app similar to the iheartradio app instead of XM.

Reply to
Roger 2008

I only get 20MB of data...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Yeah, that seems to be the easy out. Problem is, I like my older JVC!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Big OUCH.

Out of curiosity I looked up the Sony mex-BT2600 (a car radio with bluetooth that I bought a long time ago) and it says SAT Radio ready but it looks like all that means is it has an AUX input.

Reply to
Roger 2008

That's fine. I have an older Delphi Roady 2 that has a 3.5mm out. That would work.

I found a couple around for ~$165, and a Double Din for $188.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

My stereo is the Clarion cz-500. It can be had for under $200, and the satellite option is around $80 - $100, and there's also a HD option for $80 - $100. Every once in a while Crutchfield runs a special where the XM or HD option is thrown in.

Reply to
Evan Platt

I thought the CZ-500 had built-in BT? It's one of the ones I have been looking at.

The options are funny. JVC has one BT option for $150, while another can be found for $49.

There's also this, which would fit quite nicely in my Scion's Dbl DIN opening. They list $399, but I have seen them for $190...

BTW, how do you like the Clarion? They used to be OEM on some Toyotas, and they had AWESOME receivers! Sometimes the tape section (old school) lacked, but the radios were magnificent.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Yes, it does. Your two add on choices are HD and satellite.

It's not bad. A little quirky. Sometimes my iPod won't connect, but it could be my iPod, not the stereo.

Reply to
Evan Platt

I was looking at reviews of a couple Clarion models, and this seems to be the major complaint. However, since I'll be replacing a stereo I really like, I want to make sure of a couple things: that the audio quality of the radio/CD/MP3 (from CD) is as good as my JVC, and that people can HEAR me when I'm talking to them!

People tell me my Motorola is really clear.

And as far as pairing issues, every BT I have tried has quirks. The Motorola is the best, it ALWAYS pairs with my BlackBerry when I start the car. However, it doesn't do one thing that the $15 BT speakerphone I had before did, and that is, if you get out of range, and then come back in range, pairing was automatic. If I leave the ACC on, I have to turn the car completely Off and then back on, and it pairs again automatically.

Funny thing is, JVC is behind Clarion in terms of features. The three Clarion models I am looking at have 2 USB ports (front and rear), THREE outputs, at least one of them 4 volts, and a front panel AUX port, and a microphone connector in the rear. JVC has nothing that sophisticated.

The one thing I don't like about the JVCs I have (and I have 4 of them!) is that after about 18 months the faceplates don't connect properly, and you either get a blank face or a "Panel Disconnect" warning.

Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere! ;)

(And the CZ501 is only $127!)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Followup...wound up getting a Clarion CZ500 from eBay. Just waiting for it to get here...

Built-in BT and an add-on mic. Let's see what happens...

Reply to
Hachiroku