XJ40 at Lights!!!!!!

Hey Jag people!!!. i am hope we all having fun in our cats. I had a dreadfull break down today and need to ask if anyone got ideas of may be the problem . i need to get my Jag rolling again!!! i do i do !!!!!! Lord i do.

today i was at lights and was sitting just fine after a burn on the m1. I sat and suddenly out of the blue. The engine just died. Rev counter droped to 0!

the AA came out and we checked the crank sensor. It was good. needed a clean thats all. We checked sparks and it was mighty strong. we checked fuel pump relay by hot wiring the pump on and i heard it purge. The AA dude was suprises to see the pump was drawing 17Amp,s he was expecting 5 according to the the AA data sheets for my car. Now. Cat lovers what to we thik it could be. ...it did turn over . but would not start!!!!!!!

Many Thanx

TommyBABY

Reply to
Tom Kelly

Fuel pump draw was 17 amps! 17A x 12v is 204 watts - probably about 4x the alternator's rated output - something wrong with that pump, IMHO I'd first look there, especially since the engine has spark.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanx for coming on back with some ideas. I tell you i feel pretty bad not mobile and now in day 3 feel very edgey. I know that 17A is a hell of a lot. Now I poped down the the macanic to get somethig and saw he was beavering around it. He checkd for fuel at the fuel rail and it was good. Checked spark and it was very strong. we turned it over and it does kinda wana go but something it holding that 3.6 from firing up sweet.

The macnic has a feeling some sensor is out. but witch one is what i wana know. I know crank is needed . Do you know what other sensors reading are needed to work out what and how to get it moving.

Many Thanx

Tom

Reply to
Tom Kelly

Does this mean he hooked up a pressure guage to the fuel rail and it was good? Even whilst cranking? Is it within specification?

Has he checked for the injector pulse? A good mechanic will/should have a set of noid lights.

He needs to check the throttle position sensor, but I sense that this could be an air-flow meter problem. However as Lambach observed, I would investigate the fuel system closely.

DieInterim

Reply to
DieInterim