Metric ?

Hello,

Just curious:

Do all foreign branded cars mfg. in the U.S. use Metric fasteners ?

Ever a mix of Metric and English on vehicles ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

No, unfortunately.

I had an '82 Ford Escort where the water pump was held on by two metric and two SAE bolts. It was... a car with some design issues to say the least.

--scott

And don't forget that British Leyland vehicles used Whitworth threads, which was enough like SAE that you could use the same tools, but not enough that you could use the same fasteners.

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yeah, it can be interesting at times. Then you go get "re-manufactured" parts and those use different fasteners than the originals. Just went through that on a Jeep. All new brakes and calipers had different sized bleeders.

Reply to
Steve W.

Everyone uses metric now.

US automakers switched in the 1970s. I doubt anything is left from the inch days where an ordinary person would notice. There are however likely many parts still made per inch standards but unless you take calipers to them there's no way to know.

Reply to
Brent

They didn't switch in the 70's. They started importing vehicles from other countries that used the metric system. Then as they started building "world cars" and opening plants in other countries they built metric vehicles.

Still very common to find inch and metric on vehicles.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in news:m73u7t$tk2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

American automakers went metric once they started using computers to design their cars, and that started in the '70s.

I don't know about now (it's been over a decade since I was involved with Tier-1 suppliers), but for the longest time Catia (pronounced "ka-TEE-a") was the program universally used by automakers. Catia was set up to divide the car into 10cm cubes. All blueprints came divided that way as well. All dimensioning was done in metric, even if the underlying parameters (wheelbase, track, etc) were originally specified in inches.

Fasteners are/were metric or Imperial depending on existing product lines, existing stocks, supplier machinery, and industry practice.

Reply to
Tegger