Mustang GT's with loud rear ends

I drove about 30 mustang's before i finally settled on one. Every single one of them had a loud rear end regarless of whether it was automatic or manual, or a 5.0 or a 4.6. Does anyone know why all of the V8 mustangs do this.

Reply to
cosmo

What do you mean? the sound of the engine was loud? Yes they do this on purpose with special mufflers. They think it makes the car sound tough.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Because they're all designed the same? You expect to find a production line car that sounds different from the next one on the line?

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I didnt ask to find a car that doesn't make that noise. I want to fix the problem and i want to know how i can do this without getting the noise back. I need to know why this happens so i can stop it when i put in the new rear end.

And I know that a car is loud with loud pipes on it. But I can hear the rear end howling over my loud pipes. I think theres you a little bit of difference in the noise of a howling rear end and loud mufflers.

Reply to
cosmo

[...]

I wasn't talking about loud mufflers, that was the other poster.

You could find a gearset with a different cut on the pinion and ring gear, some manufacturers are quieter than others.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I know the Camaro/Firebird guys complain about this lots too with 4.10 gears and such. From what I know (not much) it sounds like you need to get the gears setup right the first time or they'll whine and once they start whining, you're stuck. If I ever change gears in my TA I'll probably pay someone to set them up so I don't have to worry about it.

Unfortunately, it probably means you'll be looking at new gears to get rid of the whine.

I suggest two things -> find a 'Stang group/forum/mailing list to discuss a good set of gears that won't whine. Or just get rid of the Ferd and get a Camaro. ;)

Ray

Reply to
news

Sounds like you drove heavily beaten/neglected cars. Limited Slip lube needs toi be changed often, and if you use non LSD lube it can actually ruin the clutches and/or cause early wear.

The FORD rear end is a proven winner, not a whinner. Haven driven many Mustangs I can tell you they are quiet.

Reply to
DieInterim

I know that in some other makes of rear end, some different ratio gearsets are typically louder than others. I don't know if all the Mustang GTs get the same rear ratio and it just happens to be loud, or not.

Are you sure its rear-end noise and not tire noise? If it were a real problem with these cars, I think we'd be hearing about it day and night given how popular the car is.

Reply to
Steve