90 Mustang fuse box

My son just informed me his car is due to be inspected before month end and his horn doesn't work. He's also managed to lose his owners manual AND the cover from his fuse box. Does anyone have a diagram of a fuse box layout for a 90 Mustang LX 5.0 they could email me? Or can someone tell me which slot the horn fuse is in. I want to start with the fuses and work my way towards the horns to see where the problem is.

Thanks, Ron

Reply to
Ron

The horn is on the same circuit as the cigar lighter and speed control. It is in slot 16 which is a yellow fuse (20 amp). As you look at the fuse block there is the round section on the lower right side. Above that there are several rows of fuses. Moving towards the dash are slots 17 and 18 in the first right hand row. In the second row the slots are 14 (circuit breaker), 15 (light blue for foglights-only available on GT) and 14 next to the dash.

Good luck.

Dave

ps--This is from my owners manual. I had to buy a new fuse box cover a while back because the old one broks (probably due to being kicked by my size 14's). It was $38.05 ($41.00 including tax) ordering it thru the dealer.

Reply to
Dave Combs

Dave covered it well, but here's a diagram in case you're more of a visual learner:

Print it out, and have your son keep it in his car - Just in case. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Thanks for the info Garth and Dave, that's exactly what I needed to know. Eliminated the fuse as there's nothing wrong with it. The one in there looked fine but I replaced it just to be sure with the same result. On to bigger and more troublesome things.

Thanks again guys.

R> Around 1/28/2006 2:18 PM, R>

Reply to
Ron

Did you check the horn relay?

R> Thanks for the info Garth and Dave, that's exactly what I needed to

Reply to
Ritz

I haven't yet as it's gotten dark (and colder). Where is the relay located?

Thanks, R> Did you check the horn relay?

Reply to
Ron

Horn System: A dual horn system 9one high pitched, one low pitched) is standard equipment. The horn switch closes the circuit to the horns without the use of a relay.

Circuit Check: Verify that ground at the horn is good by checking the connection for corrosion. Ensure the mounting screw is tight and that horns are not touching surrounding sheet metal ot other components.Attach a wire from the positive (+) terminal of the battry to the horn. If the horn sounds normally (great grammar!), check the wiring between the horn and the horn switch. If the horn does not sound, replace the horn.

The next page has diagrams about how to get into the steering wheel and checking connections bu you do hasve to remove the air bag module.

Hope this helps./

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

It's fixed and I feel like a dumba**. The fuse box was laid out differently than the diagram that Garth posted. I replaced the fuse that I thought it was (going by location) but it was the wrong one. This morning I started back to work on it and first thought to check the fuse again. I noticed that the slot numbered 16 was on the other side of the box. Pulled that fuse and sure enough it was blown.

Thanks for all the help and the quick replies. I found this newsgroup by searching online at some of the Mustang forums. My first car was a

72 Mach 1 (shoulda had my butt kicked for ever getting rid of that car) and this 90 LX 5.0 hatchback is my son's first car. Sure am glad I found this group as we have plans to rebuild the engine in it soon. Of course he wants a rompin' stompin' Stang and his mom wants him to have a Yugo. I'm looking at something closer to a mild build of the stock motor.

Thanks aga> Just drug out my sh>

Reply to
Ron

You tell his mom that he is FAR FAR safer in that mustang than a Yugo....

Of course it's up to YOU, not his Mom (ohhh, Mommmm!) to make sure he is responsible with that weapon.

- Father of 4 dumbass kids, 1 of whom might not still be around if he's been driving a Civic on that particular day

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
scott and barb