nasty ingredients of throttle/carby cleaner

I found the safety data sheet of one product and it lists contents as toluene, acetone and methanol Might not these damage rubber seals on idle air controls for example? I would think hexane might be a safer cleaning solvent.

Reply to
pedro1492

Look at a MSDS for gasoline and compare. Fuel system parts are made to resist gasoline liquid and vapor. Vehicles would not last long if gasoline ate the fuel systems. Hexane is almost entirely non-polar. It would not work very well as a general cleaner.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Don't ever let that stuff get in your eyes, you will spend a lonnnng time at the water hose rinsing it out. Believe me, I know!

Reply to
JR

'That stuff' ? Gasoline, carb cleaner, methanol, acetone, toluene, hexane?

Probably all of them.

Reply to
AMuzi

me at the water hose rinsing it out. Believe me, I know!

Years ago I worked in the solvent extraction plant at Delta Cotton Seed com pany. Yeah, I know about Hexane. It is a cousin of lighter fluid. Hexane wi ll make you 'high' and make you act like you are drunk if you breath too mu ch of it. It is highly flamable too, no matches or cigarette lighters were allowed inside the solvent extraction plant, there was a mail box just by t he gate, anybody coming through that gate had to put their matches/lighters inside the mail box.

Reply to
JR