I'm looking for a car

I'm looking for a car. My preferences are:

- manual non-synchronized transmission - engine brakes - preferably all wheel drive

What options do I have?

Reply to
dunno

I don't think anyone ever made a vehicle with all-wheel drive and no synchromesh. Maybe prewar Land Rovers?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Those specs sound like a big-rig tractor. Of course you'd need a CDL.

Reply to
John David Galt

Dodge Powerwagon.

Reply to
JR

Yup. Or a '47 Willys.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I own a 1948 Willys Jeep. But it is all worn out, it was like that when I b ought it about nine years ago for $300.00 A piece of the old license plate on it that haden't rusted completly off says 1967. That is probaly the last year it was ever driven anywhere.

Reply to
JR

I have a CDL, and I do drive a tractor. I just would like to operate my car same way as I do with the truck.

Reply to
dunno

Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

Reply to
dunno

I also own a 1914 Ford Model T car. A very basic simple car.

Reply to
JR

And safe too, with the gas tank under the seat. ;-) Then there's the always-fun 3 pedals on the floor, throttle and spark advance on the column, and combo in-gear/brake lever also on the floor.

I guess it qualifies as "no syncromesh" since the high / low shifting is all done by the pedal-controlled bands in the transmission.

Sanity Clause

Model A ford (no 4wd but)

Reply to
NotMe

It is a fun car too.

(Model T Ford Club of America)

Reply to
JR

Unfortunately, only about 5 % of cars are available with manual transmissions.

Good news is that automatics are much more reliable.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

I really hoped to find something little bit newer (at least from 40's).

Reply to
dunno

The Model T isn't really like a real car... it's like some sort of crude golf cart. But the Model A is a real car, just absolutely miles ahead of the T. You could drive an A Model on your commute today and be comfortable if you didn't have to go on the highway.

That said, although both of these cars have non-synchromesh transmissions, the shifting is totally different than anything later, and so if your goal is to have it shift like a big truck, they are going to fail it completely.

You know, I bet you could get an early-nineties BMW or Mercedes with a Getrag and limited automatic controls, and disable the synchronizers. A lot of American cars from that era might be possible to modify that way too. I have driven Getrags and Mitsubishis with failed synchronizers and while I wouldn't do that by choice, it's not impossible.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I'm not much for modernity generally, but syncromesh is pretty low on my list of 'unnecessary frills'. OP could probably drive something 1960s with a four speed and just not use the clutch after 1st gear if he enjoys matching engine speed to a shift. Jeep, IH, 4WD trucks, etc. Plenty of dependable choices which are cheap to run, fun to drive and well supported out here in the real world.

Reply to
AMuzi

A Model and similar cars/trucks, better keep those brake rods properly adjusted or you will be some 'doging'. A Model and similar cars/trucks, double clutching is de riguer.

Reply to
JR

dunno wrote in news:n81arh$sf1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.mixmin.net:

the tranys are made different so there are no cars that will do what you want. your truck is synchroyed too. that is why you can shift it like you do. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Come on down to Charlie's Used Cars. You work, you ride! You work, you ride!

Reply to
JR

You mean double clutching? I don't think you have to double clutch on synchronous transmission.

Reply to
dunno