Need GM guru for 1996 vortec engine help.

Needing expert help. 1996 Silverado. 350 with 359,000 miles. Last two years have had a problem only in winter where it misses and backfires. The longe r I drive the better it gets. Over the last two years I have replaced plugs , rotor, cap, coil, ignition module checked numberous times, lower and uppe r intake replaced, new fuel injectors, new fuel pump and filter, new CKP se nsor, etc. It seems to happen only at part throttle. Driving it ?hard? I don?t have much of a problem. I have a generic code scanner. It shows the IAT is showing the ambient temp so I assume this is ok. MAF shows around 9 grams/sec at idle which my Hayn es manual says is ok. O2 sensors show they are switching rapidly from 100 t o 850 mv. My fuel trims are high, around 13-15. Bank one is about 3 more than bank 2. The high fuel trims are at cruising. Letting off the accelerator and coast ing they go down to single digits or zero. I can see the MAP sensor and the inches of vacuum but I am not sure what ra nge I should be looking for. The only thing I cant see is the camshaft position sensor data. I did do a voltmeter test with it last year. I think it checked for reference voltage and for ohms but don?t remember. Anyway they tested good. (According to H aynes manual). I have a compression tester and leak tester. This weekend I hope to do this . Oh, my scanner shows the temp of the ECT sensor. It seems to be operating a ppropriately according in terms of beign close to the guage on my truck. Wh en the truck acted up over the weekend, I pulled over and unplugged the ECT sensor. It made no difference in the missing. Ocassionally if I hold the pedal just right, and it misses enough, I get th e Multiple cylinder misfire code. About two years ado I got a catalyst system efficiency code bank 2. I basic ally drilled a hole in the bottom of the cat, took a screwdriver to ?mash ? all the insides of the cat and sucked it out with a shop vac. (Basicall y hollowed it out). Of course, I still have the code but my hope was to fix the problem if it was a blocked converter. I have never done anything with the converter on bank one. Seems to run ok in the summer. But the winter problem is worse this year. A ctually, a couple of times it would not start. Once it would start would ba rely idle but once warmed up it would act normal.

I have checked for vacuum leaks. I fixed one at the manifold tree to the po wer brake booster. Actually after fixing this is when it was hard to start. Anyway, I am interested on honing my diagnostic skills better. Can anyone t ell me where to go from here and if there is a way with my scanner reading to rule out the map sensor?

Reply to
stryped1

have had a problem only in winter where it misses and backfires. The longer I drive the better it gets. Over the last two years I have replaced plugs, rotor, cap, coil, ignition module checked numberous times, lower and upper intake replaced, new fuel injectors, new fuel pump and filter, new CKP sensor, etc. It seems to happen only at part throttle. Driving it ?hard? I don?t have much of a problem.

I assume this is ok. MAF shows around 9 grams/sec at idle which my Haynes manual says is ok. O2 sensors show they are switching rapidly from 100 to 850 mv.

high fuel trims are at cruising. Letting off the accelerator and coasting they go down to single digits or zero.

I should be looking for.

[...]

If it's a plastic intake, it could easily be intake gaskets. It could also be a coking problem - a carbon buildup on the intake, heads, or valves. The carbon absorbs the fuel, leaning out the mixture on a cold start.

You can also try running regular gas instead of premium for hard starting, but that's mostly to help otherwise properly running engines. Your problems sound too substantial for gas volatility to make any difference.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

ars have had a problem only in winter where it misses and backfires. The lo nger I drive the better it gets. Over the last two years I have replaced pl ugs, rotor, cap, coil, ignition module checked numberous times, lower and u pper intake replaced, new fuel injectors, new fuel pump and filter, new CKP sensor, etc. It seems to happen only at part throttle. Driving it ?hard ? I don?t have much of a problem.

emp so I assume this is ok. MAF shows around 9 grams/sec at idle which my H aynes manual says is ok. O2 sensors show they are switching rapidly from 10

0 to 850 mv.
  1. The high fuel trims are at cruising. Letting off the accelerator and co asting they go down to single digits or zero.

[...]

One thing I forgot is the injectors. Is this multi port or throttle body injection? They might need cleaning or replacement.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

e been replaced recently.

[...]

Any chance of a clogged or carboned up EGR valve?

Reply to
genius

ears have had a problem only in winter where it misses and backfires. The l onger I drive the better it gets. Over the last two years I have replaced p lugs, rotor, cap, coil, ignition module checked numberous times, lower and upper intake replaced, new fuel injectors, new fuel pump and filter, new CK P sensor, etc. It seems to happen only at part throttle. Driving it ?hard ? I don?t have much of a problem.

rtec? I know it is electronic. Not sure if it is servicable. I know I dont have an egr code.

[...]

vortec? I know it is electronic. Not sure if it is servicable. I know I don t have an egr code.

[...]

Been a few years since I worked on one of these but iirc, it's center of th e engine, on top. just to the left of the thermostsat/heater hose entering the engine.

Reply to
genius

[...]

dude, stop wasting our time. you won't follow the proper tech advice or diagnostics people give you, and you're a hack - only replacing one oxygen sensor and knocking out a cat. either take it to a pro and pay them to fix what you've screwed up or stop bleating.

Reply to
jim beam