need to paint new galvanized rocker panel ?

Hi, is it OK to leave a new galvanized rocker panel unpainted, or will it s tart to rust if unpainted? (I'd like to keep this car another 5 yrs at lea st). (Background - my 99 Dodge Caravan was rusting out on the passenger ro cker panel, so I had a local body shop cut out the panel and replace with a new galvanized piece, looks good. But the shop was really busy that day a nd didn't have time to paint it. I don't really care much about the color, but I want to try to prevent rust from recurring there. Is it OK to leave the panel as-is, unpainted?) Thanks.

Reply to
rachelms79

If both sides are coated well it will probably be fine except for the welds. The welds will develop a surface rust, but it probably won't progress far. However, the plating thickness mave have been decided based on the part being painted. It may not be up to the task of being unpainted. In which case it may rust after awhile. Especially with the stone peppering and such a rocker panel is exposed to.

If you really don't care about the cosmetics, just prime and paint (ideally with the right color from dupicolor or similiar) or use a one step rust preventive paint with spray cans or even with a brush.

Reply to
Brent

I'd put a coat of primer and finish enamel on it. Cost you about 10 bucks for the paint and ten minutes of your time.

Reply to
Vic Smith