New Battery But No Power

I bought a NAPA Legend battery and installed it in my car. No power, the interior lights did not even come on. I put the battery on a "Battery Tender" brand trickle charger overnight. The next morning the charger indicated the battery was fully charged, so I installed it in the car, and still no power.

I took a 4-year old battery out of a second car, and it provided enough power to start the car.

I figure the new battery might have been a little low on power just coming off the shelf, but when it didn't work after an overnight charging, I'm not sure what to think. Any ideas?

Reply to
KC

Bad battery

Reply to
idbwill

It's bad. Get your money back.

Unless it was shipped dry and nobody filled it up. But you'd notice the lack of weight.

The thing about batteries is that if you leave them on the shelf to discharge long enough, they will never charge properly again.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks for the info. I will return the battery. I forgot to mention that I had checked the battery with a volt-ohm meter after charging it overnight. I read 13.3 volts. I also had checked the battery's water levels and they were fine.

The car is being driven right now with a 4 year old battery, so I know that the charging/electrical system is fine.

Reply to
KC

Bad electrical connection.

Reply to
zzyzzx

The battery cables seem to be fine, and the problem does not exist with a different battery. Do you mean a short in the battery itself?

Reply to
KC

It could still be a wiring problem. When you put the old battery in, the cable may be twisted differently, allowing current to flow.

I had something similar on a Vega. Replaced the battery clamps and all was well.

Does the new battery do anything in the other car?

Reply to
Calab

I don't know. I will give that a try.

Reply to
KC

Did you put the voltmeter on the battery while trying to start? Trace the lines with the voltmeter to see where the power is being lost and stop try,try, try until you are lucky enough to find the problem....

Reply to
Woody

The 13.3 volt measurement was the reading from the battery with no load on it. The car is running fine now with the 4-year old battery that I "borrowed" from one of our other cars. I will try cleaning the battery cable connector bolts (side terminal battery) and give the new battery another try.. Also will check the voltage while trying to start the car.

Reply to
KC

Try even a small load... a few years back I had a battery that seemed fine; only a year old, lots of power to start, lots of reserve. One day, I stopped at the store to pick something up, then turned the key and cranked for a few seconds with no start. Turned the key again and *pfft*, that was it. No more starter, no lights, just barely dash lights. It also showed over 12V when sitting, but just open the door and 11v...10.5....10....9.5....9........... Turns out it blew one of the internal connectors between cells, so even though the acid bridged the break enough to make the voltmeter show 12v, it had basically zero amp capacity. You (or someone at the store) didn't accidentally short out the terminals, or drop the battery hard enough to break anything inside, did you?

Reply to
MasterBlaster