Battery Question

Hi We have a Rover 200 with a 1.4 engine. Want to buy a battery charger and am attracted to one that will charge both 12v and 6v batteries (helpful with motorcycle as well as car) The only one I can find says it is suitable for cars over 1800cc....what would happen if I used this one? Sorry to sound dim - am female asking question on behalf of absent husband - so feel free to treat me as someone who knows nothing about cars.....!

Thanks all

Lyn

Reply to
candl

Battery chargers for 6volt motorcycle batteries generally need to have a very low output or they damage batteries. For car use you need a charger which is rated at about 4 to 6 amps, this will be safe to leave on overnight, for instance. For motorcycle 6v batteries you might only need a maximium half amp output. Unless you spend a lot you won't get a really suitable dual purpose one.

Why do you need a charger? If the vehicle is in regular, normal use the battery should stay charged on its own.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I got a nice little black one from Halfords that has two buttons:

1) Motorcycle/Car 2) On/Off

It appears to charge any car battery up, so far. Be it a 1.4 or a

1.8.

Just looking at Halfords Website it looks like this is the one:

Halfords Automatic Battery Charger Item code: 370825-0 Price £29.99 (inc. VAT)

"" Fully automatic battery charger Safeguards battery against overcharging Automatically switches between charging and maintenance mode delivering peak battery performance Suitable for petrol and diesel cars and vans, 12v motorcycles and deep cycle leisure batteries Suitable for all 12V automotive lead acid and deep cycle leisure batteries, gel and absorbed glass matt batteries Extra features for safer charging including no power in the clips until both are connected to the battery ""

So you just select CAR/MOTORCYCLE, Turn the unit on, put the red clip on the red battery terminal and the blue clip on the blue terminal and then leave it. When my Rover 214Si's alternator died I just stuck the battery on charge in the kitchen overnight with this charger and by morning it was fully charged. (Then I went and bought a new alternator!)

Also useful if you leave the lights on all day by mistake.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

it should be just fine,

the battery chargers are in different flavours so if you only need one for a small battery you only need buy a slightly cheaper one. I have a huge one here I use for big leisure batteries and my land rover battery but it's just as happy with the little battery on my wifes saab.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Ignore the engine size, that has nowt to do with it.

If you want the best look for an Optimate Charger. These can safely be left connected to the battery for long periods, as these simulate normal driving conditions. These are also very popular among motorcyclists that don't ride in the winter.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It doesn't do 6v...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

If you read my post you would have seen Halford's description:

"Suitable for all 12V automotive lead acid and deep cycle leisure batteries, gel and absorbed glass matt batteries"

I suggest you take the matter up with them.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I would suggest that connecting the charger, _before_ switching on is a wee bit safer. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Surely the vast majority of bikes have been 12V for about 20 years or more now?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

They are, although there are still a few 6v one's around - usually little bikes under 125cc.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Many small 2-strokes with kickstart but no electric start are still 6v.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Nothing. It'll charge OK. What it means is that its capable of charging larger batteries.

To be honest, its nothing more than salespeak. All car battery chargers will charge any car battery regardless of size...it may just take longer.

Reply to
Conor

Not so - the expensive item is the transformer. Unless a switch mode type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Haven't checked their latest range. The one I have is a few years old and was certainly described as being for a certain size engine. And it is certainly regulated. I'd be amazed if any weren't - you'd need to provide a fuse for the output, and that could cost as much.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From: Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtinternet.com) Subject: Re: Renault 21 warm start

View this article only Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance Date: 2004-11-12 00:55:02 PST

Usually no. The heat soak after the engine has stopped results in a higher temperature, and the sensors usually fail open circuit, so its a case of a proper spark or no spark at all.

As amplitute is related to engine speed, a faulty sensor will often allow the engine to keep running as the higher voltage (aroound 10v at idle, upto

100v at 6000rpm) jumps the break in the windings, but at cranking speed the voltage induced isnt enough to do this so you get no output.

A quick check is to induce a non start situation then spray the sensor with a cooling spray (brake cleaner willdo) If the engine will immediately start - you have found the problem

Tim..

Tim,

Thanks very much for your comments, with Renault spares prices verging on the rediculous, I just wanted to make sure. I replaced the sensor Friday week ago and I've never had the problem again.

Thanks again, Marie

Reply to
jon

You're used to decent transformers, the ones inside car battery chargers are very cheap. & the price of caps & a 6A regulators going to exceed the price of them. Although the odd thing is you ought to be able to make really cheap switch mode regulated ones ,ala the dichroic bulb transformers, Not seen one yet though.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Where does that say it will charge a 6V motorcyle then?

Reply to
Chris Street

I don't think it does say it will charge a 6V motorcyle, does it?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

"Nick"