New cars without sulphur fumes. Are there any?

I do not know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm hoping some people who know the answer will see it and be willing to reply

I spent a long time researching cars before I bought the 04 Toyota Corolla and it was supposed to be a nearly perfect car, but it turned out to have the problem I had read some people complain of in their 02 and 03 models: sulphur or rotten egg smell coming into the cabin intermittently. I trusted it would be solved with the 04 model, I did not smell it in my test drive, and I chose the car for its good features and reliability, but unfortunately it did turn out to have the problem. Not all the time, and only when the fresh air setting is on.

Yes, it is coming from my car, not the car in front of me. Getting out of the car, and walking around to the back, it reeks. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Other times it is just overpowering, and remains in the cabin for days. It has gotten worse with the cold weather. All brands of gas do it. When it happens I have to put recirc on. Then, with recirc and heat or a/c, there is often a sweetish coolant smell. So I have to choose between the sulphur fumes or the coolant smell. This latter I am willing to believe is a new car smell that will clear up, maybe. But the sulphur, I now know is a long standing problem that many owners have, and whether normal or not, I am not willing to put up with it.

Am I forced to find an older car to avoid this and thus go back to frequent repairs? Are there any newer cars - I don't care whether domestic or import - that are decent and clean smelling, through and through? In fact: I think I'd rather have a cracked engine block, that could be fixed and the car would then be fine. Like someone's Oldsmobile I heard about.

I mean I can understand an old car spewing fumes. But a brand new, ultra low emission car? This is unacceptable and what's more, Toyota does not care. In one forum I read some RAV4 owner saying his car did it, but no other Toyota had the problem. Well, no, apparently all models of Toyotas do, but only "some" of them.

I would like to know if there is a car that is not built today with this feature (apparently, a catalytic converter that cannot process high sulphur gas, which is all that is available where I live).

I plan to sell the Toyota and get another car, as I can't tolerate this "feature". Yes, I know I will suffer a loss in the depreciation. Perhaps some other car owners are less sensitive to noxious fumes, or can somehow put in a new converter or something and solve it. I just want to get rid of it now.

Reply to
windmere

I've done further research on google and see that the sulphur problem exists in Volvos, VWs, Chevys, Chryslers, Hondas, Hyundais, Audis, and more; it goes back to 1980 at least. It's not in everyone's car, obviously. I guess no one need reply to my lame question then about finding a car without it. If it's a fuel problem, and there is no good fuel available, then either I put up with it or I don't drive anymore or get my 1985 rusted out car completely rebuilt, as that car with its crude technology had no sulphur fumes.

Sorry to bother you in this group but when I posted it some time ago in the Toyota group I was told to stop complaining about the "new car smell" because Toyotas are perfect to them. Now I see it's not a Toyota problem, and every Volvo and Dodge owner who posted about it also thought it was unique to their car. From all clues it seems to be the converter and the high-sulphur fuel but Sunoco brand low-sulphur fuel is not sold in B.C., only in Eastern Canada; and I do not live in California. Why don't the car ads say the cars should only be driven in California or Eastern Canada where the gas is low sulphur? Because most people just don't mind the reeking sulphur fumes?

FYI, here is Toyota's service bulletin. Note that I've already tried different fuels, they all do it, and note that Toyota states changing catalytic converter will not solve it.

Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell ENGINE EG003-03

February 24, 2003 Title: SULFUR ODOR FROM EXHAUST Models: All Models

Introduction

Some owners of Toyota vehicles may experience a sulfur-like or "rotten egg" odor from the exhaust system. Sulfur is a natural component of crude oil from which gasoline is refined and the amount of sulfur can be decreased through the refining process. The amount of sulfur in fuel sold in California is regulated, however gasoline sold in other states can have substantially higher sulfur content. Sulfur content also varies considerably between gasoline brands and locations. Applicable Vehicles ^ All Models.

Repair Procedure

A sulfur odor emitted from the vehicle's tailpipe does not necessarily indicate that there is an issue with the engine's running condition, but is most likely directly related to the fuel. ^ If the vehicle is exhibiting an excessive sulfur odor, the following checks should be performed: ^ If the MIL light is ON, check for DTCs and repair as necessary.

If no trouble is found after performing the above check, recommend the customer try a different source of fuel.

Replacement of oxygen sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors or catalytic converters will not reduce the odor and will therefore not be considered warrantable.

Reply to
windmere

"windmere" was looking for low-sulphur fuel.

Good luck finding it in North America! In Europe and Japan, the governments exercise tighter control over the quality of gasoline. My brother always says if he could afford to drive any car in the world, he would get a diesel BMW 735i. But they don't sell them here in the United States, partly because our refiners claim they can't produce low-sulphur fuel. But guess who produces the low-sulphur fuel they sell in Europe? Those same refineries! Sometimes it's enough to make you want to move to Denmark.

-Daniel (from Oklahoma)

Reply to
Daniel Narvaes

Starting Jan. 1st, 2005, all gas sold in Canada must contain less than 30 ppm of sulfur. Some Canadian gas (namely Esso gas in Ontario) has contained as much as 700 ppm in the past. Apparently, Esso expects to be in compliance with these new regulations by the end of November, and other oil companies should be getting there as well.

The sulfur content usually varies depending on the area of the country and who refined it. Typically Shell has been one of the better ones, and Esso has been by far the worst country-wide, which makes its early compliance all the more surprising. Eastern Canada (especially Ontario) seems to have the most sulfur content.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Are you sure?

Yes, your exhaust may be emitting such a smell, but is that the source you're smelling? How is it getting from the tailpipe to your cabin intake when you're in motion? If you found a car that was odorless, what's to prevent the H2S from the car ahead of you from assailing your nostrils?

My wife used to complain vociferously about diesel fumes from any bus or truck anywhere near. I could seldom smell them. Some folks just have more sensitive noses than others. I suspect you're the proud custodian of a perfumer's delicate actuity, and I'm afraid you're stuck with it. :-(

Reply to
John Ings

As you found, it's the fuel, not the car. Federal rules to significantly reduce sulphur in fuel go into effect in July 2006. Until then, you can buy low sulphur fuel at Blue Planet gas stations and at some BP stations. If there are none near you, premium gas is usually lower in sulphur than other grades (mostly as a side effect of their extra refining). That may help you noticeably.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

This was a rampant problem in 1975 through 1980 or thereabout when the catalytic convertor first appeared on cars. The sulfur smell is caused by excessive fuel hitting the convertor in the absence of sufficient oxygent to complete the reaction to convert the fuel and CO to CO2 and water. I was a real problem with carbureted cars before they got all the bugs worked out of feedback-control carburetors and air injection systems, but disappeared completely in the early 80s, and was (I thought) banished forever with the advent of electronic fuel injection in the mid 80s.

And now Toyota has apparently re-introduced it, because I too have noticed the stink frequently over the past year and its become a near-100% accurate "Toyota ahead" detection tool! I literally hadn't smelled that stink in nearly 20 years until sometime during the past couple of years, and it's almost always a Toyota. One recent time that it wasn't a Toyota, it turned out to be a Honda.

No, just ditch Toyota.

Reply to
Steve

I disagree. Some (most!) cars will never make that smell. Recent Japanese cars, especially Toyotas, seem to have a fault in the catalyst system that takes us right back to 1975. Yippee.

Reply to
Steve

Thank you for your comments. I am going to sell the Toyota and get a domestic car.

Reply to
windmere

It would be a lot cheaper to try a few different gasolines first... anyway, good luck.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher