New electronic device shuts down car if you miss a payment.

Charles Gibson on ABC tv news was talking about that gadget a few minutes ago.There is something else called iLocate.If somebody misses a car payment the iLocate gadget shows the repoman where the car is located. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

that's another reason you should stick with your 1968 dodge van

Reply to
boxing

April Fuels?

Reply to
Andy

Even if it is, i'm sure it's in the pipeline. I like my 20 year old car...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Even if it is, i'm sure it's in the pipeline. I like my 20 year old car...

nate

I saw it on TV in the middle of the night. They have sold, already, some 350,000 of these devices. The car salesmen say that now they dont have to worry about credit,etc.

The device starts blinking a day or two before the payment is due.. If you dont pay by midnight on the specified day, the car will no longer start. Some have GPS locators so that the repo man can go right to the disabled car.

Reply to
HLS

OnStar vehicles can be enabled to do this BUT GM and OnStar said NO. I guess the aftermarket decided to push it with help of the banks and insurance companies.

I'm waiting for someone to design a unit that will get installed on the dash and will not allow the vehicle to be operated without a valid drivers license. That would make it interesting for car thieves and joy riders.

Reply to
Steve W.

If that gadget leaves some people stranded wayyyy out in the middle of nowhere, say a desert, for instance,,, I dont know. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

No case.... If you dont pay your bill you walk, just like if you dont buy gasoline.

Reply to
HLS

idbwill

Likewise. I keep it in immaculate condition. It's not as flash as what's being released today, but it's MINE and I have no debt owing costing me hundreds of dollars a month in repayments.

Reply to
Andy

Charles Gibson was doing news on ABC tv this afternoon.A report about something called DriveCam.It is sort of a ''black box'' for cars.A teenage girl drove through a yellow light and caused an accident.Another teenager, a girl talking on a cell phone and no seatbelt buckled up.A taxi cab driver guy fell asleep, no seatbelt buckled on.I am scared to drive anywhere anymore. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Well, if you keep your head out of your ass, and your cell phone out of your ear, you have gone a long way toward promulgating a safe traffic environment.

The cops out to be on this like stink on sh**..

We live in a truly disfunctional society.

Reply to
HLS

One point - You do not cause an accident by driving through a *yellow* light. If an accident occurs when you go through a *yellow* light, it is because someone else jumped the gun on the *red* light on their side.

Reply to
Pete C.

'Black Box' recorder convicts rich list driver.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The problem is all the OTHER bozos out there driving their enormous SUVs who consider themselves invulnerable and see no reason not to behave in this way.

They are too busy talking on their radios and typing on their computer workstations to be able to pay attention to their own driving, let alone that of other drivers. Police departments don't have the money to keep two-man teams any more.

Sure, but at least we have elephants that can paint.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

True.. we were, however, taught never to enter an intersection on a yellow light (unless, of course, speed and a sudden light change gave you no option).

This may have even been Texas law. Not sure.

I understand that now that is not taught.

Reply to
HLS

I've always understood a yellow light to mean "stop if you can safely do so", i.e. you're far enough from the light to stop given road conditions and vehicle specific factors.

Reply to
Pete C.

Same here....It does not, however, mean speed up and try to get through the light....and I am afraid many view it that way.

Reply to
HLS

Some of those traffic lights will go from yellow (blipping through yellow so quickly) to red and catch some people on the red light when they could get on through on yellow.Whenever I see the yellow light, I start getting ready to stop. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That's put on used cars sold to high credit risk buyers.

Reply to
John S.