Storing a new car

My Girlfriend has been bought a brand new Mini...

Trouble is she hasn't passed her test, and wont for a while, time, money, practice....

None of her housemates are insured to drive it so she must store it, luckily she has a garage so has parked it inside under a dust cover...

I suggested charging the battery once in a while to keep her topped up?

Good idea?

any other hints and tips for keeping Maxine the Mini in tip top condition?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

there is a whole ritual of procedures to do this properly. anyone who has a boat/aeroplane (i dont) would know.

but i ask ...a brand new mini? how long will you be able to resist going for a spin every now and then?

Reply to
beerismygas

Purchased a new car but hasn't got the money for lessons?

You can kiss goodbye to £1000 depreciation as soon as it leaves the showroom.

I presume we are talking blonde here!!!

Reply to
Ian

Are you?....Blonde I mean?

She was bought it!

Reply to
Phil

Go visit

and see his FAQ - there is one about storing a car for more than three months which would be ideal.

As well as Mr Johns recommendations I'd also take the plugs out, put a big gob of lithium grease in the cylinders and turn the engine over slowly with the plugs out to coat the bores and prevent rusting. NB: this can make it an absolute pig to start when yo finally get round to driving it but the bores won't rust.

Reply to
Chris Street

In news:1cb6xk4gvlgzy.bxalnuypw54c$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net, Chris Street decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

and the by products from trying to start it will, more likely than not, absolutely *shaft* the catalytic converter.

I'd just leave it in the garage for a few months, if the garage is dry it'll do no harm.

Reply to
Pete M

our

Or you could follow the manufacturers procedures and shove it on a disused airfield with thousands of others. No problem.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Too right........

Wouldnt it just be better to pass the test and then buy the car, surley a much simpler solution. What if she doesnt pass the test? Will make a nice workbench/shelf in the garage I suppose.........

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

How are you going to get the grease runny enough to spread round the bores instead of sitting in one place? A light squirt of WD40 down each bore would do just as well. Has the advantage of not containing metal salts (like lithium) which may well bugger up the cat.

Not that I'd bother with either - bores ain't going to rust in a few months in a garage.

Reply to
Guy King

Change the girlfriend. Anyone stupid to spend several thousand pounds on a brand new car they can't drive because they can't afford the lessons is trouble waiting to happen. Common sense would have said to spend money on lessons first.

Reply to
Conor

But thats using common sense Steve.

Reply to
Conor

I thought most new BMW engines used Nikasil. Had some problems with cheap high sulphur fuel in the UK as the UK trade will sell any rubbish they can get away with. Been using it on bike engines since the K "flying brick" was introduced - 20 years ago now?

Take the weight off the tyres so the bottom part of the side wall doesn't take a set. If possible use the battery on something else alternate weeks. Turn engine over on starter every few weeks (4 at longest) with fuel pump fuse and plugs removed this will move some oil round the engine and up to the piston rings.

Be fine over summer so long as the place is ventilated and doesn't leak. Outside but not on long grass is better than in a damp place. Make sure any cover doesn't reach the floor and prevent flow of air under car, indoors a simple dust sheet is best.

Reply to
Peter Hill

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Peter Hill decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Um, the Mini uses a DaimlerChrysler engine :-)

Something that is a bit irritating to BMW I imagine.

Reply to
Pete M

Ummm. I think the OP stated that the car for bought for the girlfriend. Someone elses money. Not hers.

Reply to
Taz

Ya,

Its a bit complicated.

The car was bought for her, by someone perhaps lacking in the common sense dept.

Course I didn't just say that!

Reply to
Tom Burton

I thought the same until I trashed the bores on my bike after four months being laid up in summer. Since then I've used light grease and cleaned it out with no problems on bikes and cars - lithium should have no effect on a platinum/rhodium cat whatsoever.

Reply to
Chris Street

All future mother-in-laws are like that though....

No, but you thought it real loud.....

Reply to
Chris Street

Wonders what kind of mother in law has one of "them"

*worried*
Reply to
Tom Burton