New spark plugs on the market.

I was looking through my July 2007 Popular Mechanics magazine which I received in my snail mail a couple of weeks ago.A big two page ad about the new spark plugs.

Also, in my snail mail this morning is an O'Reilly auto parts flyer.Measure & Charge Refrigerant and Oil.Contains refrigerant,oil and stop leak.19 ounzes. INT MAC134 $19.95 cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The stop-leak is an excellent way to destroy a $2000 or more refrigerant recycling/charging station if the vehicle's AC is ever professionally serviced and the tech is not on his toes.

Not really that good for your AC system either.

Don

Don

My old van has AC.Just roll the windows down. Those new spark plugs, about 15 years ago I bought a new set of Splitfire spark plugs for my van.Within a few miles one of them quit working.I replaced it with one of the old regular spark plugs.Two days later another one of those Splitfire spark plugs quit working.Ever since then, I am very leery of new fangled spark plugs.I don't think I want to try out any pulstar spark plugs.Autolite AP 64 spark plugs are the best for my old van. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Correct on all points!

Reply to
maxwedge

Spark plug scams are almost as old as the internal combustion engine. If these plugs really resulted in a 2 to 11% increase in fuel economy, don't you think they would be standard on every car? The whole explanation of "how they work" is total BS.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Nice graphics though. lol

Reply to
Steve Austin

Well, haven't you ever tried out any new fangled auto gadgets before, all those wild claims the ads advertize and you found out there was no improvement at all or your vehicle ran worse than before? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Wow, it is amazingly bullshitty. I have to hand it to advertizers, they don't generally fabricate nonsense out of thin air to anywhere near the extent that they did back in the 50s and 60s, but this fluff could have been lifted straight out of one of the nuttier ads from back then.

Reply to
Steve

Vortex / Splitfire....

Reply to
C. E. White

My 1914 T Model Ford car has take apart spark plugs for easy cleaning.The spark plugs come apart in three seperate pieces.I have some new old stock spare spark plugs for the car too.I guess if you do a search for, Collectible Antique Spark Plugs

You might see all kinds of old, old spark plugs. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Summertime with it's inevitable high gas prices brings out ever more miraculous ways to enhance gasoline MPG. I've also read about a gimmick multi-electrode sparkplug that supposedly improves power and milage at the same time. People are shelling out $9.00 per plug!!

Reply to
John S.

How exactly would a reputable servicer handle this (other than telling the customer to get lost)?

Reply to
clifto

I'd like to know this as well... I'm looking to do a quick fix on my A/C and was considering stop leak with dye alongside a can of refrigerant.

Reply to
Noozer

Explain their options and the cost of those options.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I received a Fred's dollar store flyer in my snail mail this morning.One of the ads is about, Premium Refrigerant with Stop Leak and hose.12.3 ounces.$8.99.Maybe Fred's has a website, (I didn't see a Fred's website in my Fred's flyer) if you want to check it out. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Are you replying to me?

Any stop leak , sealer or seal sweller installed in an automotive AC system is asking for disaster. Once that crap is in there, the system is considered a total loss. No professional in their right mind would touch such a system until everything has been replaced.

The hacks will do differently no doubt...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The best way to improve mileage and overall vehicle performance is to hide the car keys from your teenager.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What might those options be?

Reply to
clifto

1) Dispose of vehicle in favor of one with a functioning AC system that has not been contaminated/ butchered. 2) Replace every AC component, add proper oil charge, evacuate, recharge with proper refrigerant. 3) Live with no AC.
Reply to
aarcuda69062

Heh...

Fortunately mine are gown and gone...no more teenager car problems!!!!

Reply to
John S.