NYS inspection: tire wear spec

What I find for NYS's inspection spec is ...

  • Tread depth - must be at least 2/32" when measured in two adjacent major tread grooves showing the most wear.

Does anyone know what a "major tread" means in this? All my 'long' grooves (ie, going all the way around the tire) meet this comfortably; but, the transverse grooves don't, particularly at the edge of the tread.

TIA, George

Reply to
George

The around-the-tire tread is what gets measured. If you look, you probably will see the transverse grooves do not have the wear-bars.

The transverse treads in my potenzas were about 1/2 as deep as the round-the-tire grooves. Really made the rain handling suck when it got down to the bottoms of 'em.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

The major grooves are the ones that run around the circumference of the tire.

Reply to
Steve W.