OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires

Perhaps a poorly worded post, and an even more poorly worded response.

I was wondering more about how the characteristics of the car's performance changed.

And you can't figure out what I mean by staying 'within a percentage of OEM spcification'?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

OK...you've proven you're not really much other than a trool yourself, so if I have to spell it out for you:

The Mazda is a stock '89 626 with no modifications. As the header in the original message says, "OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires"

The manufacturer specifies a certain tire size for a number of reasons. The original spec on this car was 185/70-14, 195/60-14 or 195/60-15. The DX (the one I have) got the 185 tires, the top model got the 15s.

This has a lot to do with a lot of things: speedo accuracy, sterring and suspension geometry, etc. According to different tire size calculators I have seen, I am running a tire that is 6% lower than 'spec'.

So, I don't know what this means in terms of steering and suspension goemetry. It does throw my speedo off...by 6%. Also should throw the odometer off by 6%; however, where the odometer was reading lower than actual mileage, it is now correct.

Also in the mix is the drivablility response of the car. Prviously I had to downshift to get up short, steep grades; now I can take those same grades in 4th gear and sometimes even have some acceleration to spare. Overall performance of the car has increased considerably, to where it actually feels like a car with 145 HP under the hood, whereas before acceleration was sluggish and often had to drop a gear to reach speed.

But, if you had read the original post, you would have seen these were my original concerns, instead of jumping into a thread halfway.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Oh, who gives a flying f*ck?!

All I wanted to know was what I reiterated above. FOAD.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I had an absolutely rotten day today.

I expected you to come back with a smart-ass remark whereupon I was going to let loose you didn't know what I was talking about, yada, yada, yada...

However, this gave me the first friggin' *LAUGH* I had all day!

Apology accepted? Say. you aren't the guy in the parking booth at the University parking garage that wasn't going to give me my car 'cause I was $0.75 short, are you?!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Mr. Hachiroku,

Live is too short to waste any of it on dumb-asses. Let him have his ego and you and I move on to bigger and better things.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP