Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.

2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

SJ

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

---------

have done just that in the past.

Reply to
Pico Rico

A tube should work, but any kind of cut could lead to a blow out. Especially one on the side wall. I say replace the tire.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yeah - Your not supposed to patch a side wall. Mostly it's due to the flexing the sidewall does, the patch won't hold long anyway but that

1/2" tear you got will end up weakening and as the previous poster mentioned, a blowout could happen. Don't ever stick a plug in the side wall either - That will spread the steel bands and weaken the wall worse. I've gotten away with having a plug stuck in on the very edge of the tread before, (but still facing the road) where your not supposed to have one, but was in a situation where I had no choice. Still fine after 30K miles there, but never would I do a sidewall. I don't see why a tube wouldn't be fine, but would patch the tire on the inside so no chance of the tube having any issues with where the cut was.

But all in all, with the price for a tube & repair why not just get a new tire? If your really hard up for $$, you can even buy used with decent tread left. I've never done it before, but have seen used tire places so someone does.. :)

Reply to
IYM

I agree. Steel is in the belt and sidewalls are probably polyester plies. If these are cut, tire would be at risk to patch as flexing is in the sidewall and any repair would probably not be permanent.

Reply to
Frank

Hi, Safety #1. right? I'd try to find a similar used tire. I wouldn't have peace of mind if I have a tire with side wall problem specially driving on freeway.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

let me add: mine was a radial tire and I got many miles out of it with the tube. However the hole in the sidewall was the tiniest of holes from hitting the curb, not your 1/2" jagged fright.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Some decades ago, I used to have box of sidewall patches. NOt sure I'd trust one.

I'd also suggest replace.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Radial sidewalls are quite fragile -and repairing them is generally not recommended. A clean puncture is one thing, but a "bruise" is another. If it has not damaged any cords (unlikely by your description) a tube MIGHT be acceptable - but it must be a tube made for radial tires - such as a Michelin AirStop. Even then, heating can be a problem. I would STRONGLY recommend replacing the tire.

Reply to
clare

Strange - I've NEVER seen a radial tire with steel in the sidewalls.

Reply to
clare

I picked up 3 decent tires on craigslist. The guy had damaged one of the set and was anal enough that he didn't want a mismatched tire.

As for the OP, my pickup doesn't get out much and is on retreads that are old enough to vote. Two have developed sidewall leaks just sitting in the driveway. I figured if they were that far gone I would trust a tube, hence craigslist. I just couldn't see dropping $150 a tire for something that gets out of the driveway once a year or so.

When I was looking, I saw a lot of tires on craigslist.

Reply to
rbowman
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

===

Thanks many times over everyone! Both front tires are both close to needing replacing anyway. I'll catch one of the Veterans Day sales.

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

SJ

++++++++++++++++++++ You cannot repair a sidewall. Let me say that differently, go to the tire store where they fix tires that leak, they will not repair a sidewall.

You need to buy a new tire.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Worst advice ever. A tube will not work, that's why they do not put them in. Firstly, without a rim that can be taken apart, the tire mounting machine can pinch the tube and damage it before the first pound of air goes in. Secondly, tubeless tires are built differently than tube-type tires. Thirdly, the sidewall of a tire is by design the weakest part of the tire, it is typically two-ply where the tread is four-ply. The sidewall constantly moves and changes shape, and if there is a tear, then the tear will be even weaker and a catastrophic failure is all but certain.

At best, a tube will hold air. It will not make the sidewall sufficient to carry the vehicle. Do not put a tube into a tubeless tire. You have to go to the tire store to have the tire and rim broken down, so they are the venue for putting the tube in and they will not do it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You are correct, there is no steel in the sidewall. Steel belts are only in the tread area.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And, you do not need onen tire, you need two unless the tires on your car are reasonably new and still available. The rule of thumb is that you should have matched tires on the same axle, both size and style/model of tire. The exception is when you put the spare on, but then you should do tire repairs or replacements and put the spare back into the trunk.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

===

Thanks many times over everyone! Both front tires are both close to needing replacing anyway. I'll catch one of the Veterans Day sales.

I like America's Tire Stores,

Tire Rack,

is also a good choice. At Tire Rack, they ship tires to you, and you take them to the tire store and pay an installation charge. You can call the installer and see if they accept a drop-shipment. America's Tire has a competitive price and they will get whatever you need shipped in for free.

Costco has a limited selection, but the selection they have is pretty good. They generally have a Good, Better, and Best option for each size.

DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR NITROGEN. This is snake oil for tires. It might work as claimed, but the air we breathe already is full of nitrogen. My only point is, do not pay an upcharge for nitrogen. If they do it for free, then do not refuse. But do not pay extra.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Oh, thanks. We all needed someone to quibble over what the word "work" means.

I think my post was clear enough.

Reply to
Dan Espen

That's the point, a tube should not work. A tube has Epic Fail written all over it, hence, "Worst advice ever." I cleared your post up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I went to a wrecking yard and got some used tires. Seems OK, and has more tread than the ones I took off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon