Oil life indicator

SAPS is a marketing Buzzword. The word is never used as part of the technical specifications by the the oil licensing agencies. ILSAC, ACEA and the API do not use the word SAPS in their performance standards. The word is used in promotional literature and press releases to simplify the concepts for morons like you that can't understand the real chemical terminology. The technical literature does not use this word.

No that proves you are a moron.

What you are to dumb to realize is that oil formulated for low sulfated ash may be harmful to catalytic converters in gasoline engines. Many oils like the ACEA C class oils are formulated for both diesels and gasoline engines and that may present problems because the two types of engines have different chemical needs.

It is only a problem when the phosphorus gets to the converter. If it stays in the engine it does no harm to the converter. If you could read you would see that there is evidence that the oil the marketers are pushing as "low SAPS oil" can cause more phosphorus damage to converter than oil that is not being marketed as low SAPS.

How did that show I was wrong. You just keep bringing up one non-sequitur after another. The GF-5 oil is not going to be marketed as low SAPS oil.

If you look at the API specification on the oil bottles. You will see many of the oils that are being advertized as "low SAPS oils" have both API CJ-4 and API SM/SL designation. People are using those oils in their gasoline passenger cars.

No its only been a little more than 2 years since the CJ-4 oil started showing up on the shelves. And using that oil in a Natural gas engine has been found to be very harmful.

It may not be important to a moron like you but to someone who owns a natural gas engine might be interested.

What's been 15 years? You d "Over enthusiastic oil changing can cause premature catalytic convertor failure."

What the heck does all this babbling about SAPS got to do with that foolish statement?

Reply to
jim

No I'm claiming you are a hopeless moron.

You still haven't explained what all your babbling babbling babbling about SAPS has to do with "Over enthusiastic oil changing".

Reply to
jim

Do you feel sufficient now?

Any babbling (potassium) babbling (potassium) babbling (potassium) came from you when you went apoplectic because I suggested to someone that they read up on the subject.

Your savantism is beginning to bore me.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes like a stopped clock that is the one time you made a statement that is valid. It is the only thing you said that wasn't full of misinformation

You claimed that chang "GM tests these cores for causes of failure, many are from SAPS contamination."

This is also false.

The real truth is that there is now a concern that "oils that are marketed as "low SAPS oil" may cause harm to catalytic converters on gasoline engines, because what is often regarded as a "low SAPS" formulation is high in Phosphorus and low in the alkali metals that keep the phosphorus from damaging the converters.

I say "could" in the above sentence because the phrase "low SAPS oil" is really meaningless marketing BS. Any motor oil manufacturer is free to call their oil "low SAPS oil" if they want to. There is no standard or licensing required to make that claim. Some of the time what the advertisements are trying to do by calling oil "low SAPS oil" is convey the idea that this oil is good for diesel engines with the new exhaust treatment filters. Buy after looking at some of the advertising it seems pretty obvious that this term is really just an attempt to take advantage of morons who will purchase whatever product has the latest buzzword attached to it.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Yet the industry is going to longer oil change intervals.

Funny, I don't recall your presence when that conversation took place between myself and a GM engineer.

Which oils specifically are high in phosphorous? Name them. Haven't found one yet that exceeds the maximum API/ILSAC specification.

Because all you have so far is your opinion drawn from sketchy conclusions.

May be true. However, I was not engaged in any marketing attempt when I replied to HLS so like most guns that go off half cocked, you've sadly missed your target. Must be your time of the month.

Same as "synthetic oil." No standards or licensing to that phrase either, at least not in the U.S. To bad, so sad. More soiled undergarments for Jim.

So you think that anyone who owns a diesel vehicle with exhaust treatment filters should totally ignore whether the correct oil is used in his engine?

Which makes all of your ranting another non-sequitur since I am not involved in advertising and I do not think that HLS is a moron.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What industry are you talking about? The oil industry? the oil chemical additive industry? The engine manufacturing industry? They all have different opinions on that topic. One of the consequences of the new GF-5 oil performance standards may well be that some manufacturers will shorten oil change intervals. This is not just because of the issue of low levels of phosphorus (anti-wear additives). There are other issues like reduced viscosity and detergents for improved fuel economy. Consumers do not want to be bothered with maintenance so extending the recommended oil change intervals helps to sell autos. But the additive makers are saying it is not possible to extend the service life of oil if you also want maximum fuel economy and maximum wear protection from the same product.

That doesn't make it true. It does indicate that you once again misunderstood what was said.

If an oil is labeled API CJ-4 and API SM service classification it typically has 50% more phosphorus than the ILSAC GF-4 oil does. The ILSAC GF-4 oils are designed only for newer gasoline engines. Many commonly used motor oils are designed to be used in both light diesel and gasoline engines. It is those oils that are often advertised as "low SAPS oil".

Maybe you wouldn't be so misinformed if you got your informatiom from technical sources rather than relying on advertising copy.

That is another good example of your inability to comprehend simple sentences.

Actually just about everything you write is a good example of your inability to comprehend simple sentences.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Your version of a paper trail is better than none. I keep receipts, dates, mileage, etc.

Reply to
hls