Aura XR V-6 Oil change question

I just bought an Aura XR V-6 and am already thinking ahead to the first oil change. Looking under the hood, it looks like the only way to get the oil filter off is to remove the air cleaner to intake manifold plastic snorkel, unless there is another way to get at it, like from underneath, but it doesn't look like that's possible in a driveway.

Am I right or do I need to look at this again?

Thanks

Reply to
Jack Mack

Im going to have to find out what an Aura is ;>)

Reply to
hls

More like what an Aura was. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

ROTFLMAO....exactly...now I know ;>) Saturn doesnt run rings around much these days, does it

Reply to
hls
2

Thanks so much for all the helpful posts.

Reply to
jack mack

Thanks so much for all the helpful posts.

********* Sorry we got off into this dialogue. Maybe you can find a manual for this vehicle at the auto parts store or at your local library. I tried to look it up in the Autozone repair guides, but they dont have this car in their files.
Reply to
hls

I looked at some supplier sites and found that the V6 uses a standard spin on filter. There were some 4 cyl engines that apparently used a replaceable cartridge type filter.

I did read the the filter on the 4 cyl is accessed from the top of the engine,but dont know about the V6. Since it is a spin-on it shouldnt be a big trick to spot it, although you may have to crawl under the vehicle.

Sorry

Reply to
hls

Jackie Mack,

Chances are the oil filter is accessed from underneath the vehicle. I haven't been able to remove an oil filter from the top side since I got rid of my 68 Buick.

If its a typical AC Filter, it should look like a blue can.

Good Luck, and watch out for oil running all over the place if the oil flow path is obstructed by a frame rail.

harryface

91 Bonneville 320,747 05 Park Avenue 92,656
Reply to
Harry Face

Thanks all....I've been changing oil now on my cars for close to 25 years. I've never had to remove any engine component to reach an OF. There is no Haynes or Chilton's manual out on this car since the first Aura came out in 07. The owner's manual never tells you how to access an oil filter, but usually it tells you which one your car takes dittow for spark plugs and Air Filter and this manual does not, even in the specs section. No biggie since I've already looked both up in the AP store.

The reason I asked this question is just to find out if anyone who has this car with the V-6 is removing the filter from the top given how high it sits on the engine block. This would require removing the air cleaner snorkel.

Reply to
jack mack