Olds Engine Swap

Would the engine (3.3 V-6) from a '90 Cutlass Ciera bolt into a '93 Cutlass Ciera.
Thanks for any help.
Ken

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:30:15 -0400, "Napalm Heart"

Yes a 89-93 3300 would bolt in just fine. The '93 3300 had slightly higher flowing heads but the engine internals are the same. You could also drop in a larger 3800 from say a 1989-1993 Buick Regal. You would also need to swap the ecm if upgrading to the 3800.
-- Kevin Heider
(to e-mail: put attbi.com after the username)
89 Ciera 3300/4T60

could
Thanks Kevin.
Ken

Ken, if you have a choice, take Kevin's advice and go the 3800 route--best engine (IMO) GM ever made!!! Got tons of power & excellent fuel mileage to boot. Plus it'll run for 250,000 miles +/-. sdlomi

I have a 93 Cutlass Supreme with the 3.1 L (not 3100). The 3800 wasn't an option for this car, but its the same platform as the Regal and Grand Prix. Is there any reason why a 3800 wouldn't fit? Could I use a more modern 3800? How about the supercharged version (I'm guessing I couldn't just add a supercharger to a normally aspirated 3800, since the compression would probably be too high). Also what about a turbocharged 3.8 L from say a Buick Grand National? Would that fit, and how would the power/reliability compare? BTW I have the 4 speed (OD).
Thanks, Andy
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:16:27 -0400, "Andrew Sasak"

The 3800 will also fit in your Olds Cutlass Supreme. But to swap a 3800 (90 degree V6) in place of a 3.1 MPFI (60 degree V6) you would also need to get the wiring harness from donor Regal. The Buick Regal is the only 89-93 W-body platform to have the 3800 as a factory option. You would also need different engine mounts&struts (dogbones as I call them), and perhaps some of the coolant/ac line plumping.
The 3800 Series II Supercharged is an awesome swap, but you would need to buy special internet wiring adaptor/harness to make wiring 1997 technology to 1990 technology bearable.
For more info on a W-body 3.1 MPFI to a 38000 Series I / Series II swap go to: www.w-body.com
As for the guy with the Olds Ciera 3300. The 3800 is the same engine! The 3800 is just a stroked 3300. The swap is very straight forward. You just need the ECM (only because the stroke of the engine is bigger) and the engine itself. Actually you only need the blue Memcal chip inside the ECM, but you might as well get the "Engine Complete+ECM" as a kit from a local wrecking yard.
-- Kevin Heider 89 Olds Ciera International 3300/4T60 90 Pontiac Grand Prix LE 3.1/4T60 90 Pontiac McLaren Turbo Grand Prix (heavily modded: 3.1/T3 hybrid/4T60HD custom) www.turbograndprix.com

Hi Andy,
The 3.8 Turbo from the GN wouldn't fit because that is setup for rear-wheel drive... -- Kevin Heider
(to e-mail: put attbi.com after the username)