Overdrive in town?

My Lincoln V8 has a 4 speed automatic transmission. If I am driving in town at speeds under 45 miles per hour should i place selector so as to use the first 3 gears or the overdrive setting an let it shirt up to 4th gear?

One way the engine runs faster, the other the transmission does a lot more shifting. In overdrive setting it downshifts a lot on the slightest hill. Leave it in 3 speed setting or leave it in 4 speed overdrive setting?

Reply to
J J

I personally prefer not to lug the engine or tranny in too low a gear so don't allow OD until a higher threshold. That 40-45 mph or 60-65 kph is a bad spot on most newer autos I have seen. The owners manual for my standards both say not to use OD or 5th until up over 60 mph and not to tow with it at all for both the auto and standard.

Mike

Mike Romain