P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire)

Got the above code on my Kia 2008 Rondo 6 cyl. 2.7 liter engine. Car runs crappy!

I will diagnose the problem, HOWEVER, does the computer shut down the fuel to cylinder 2 because it is misfiring? When I had this trouble with my Che vy Silverado 5.3 liter (bad spark plug wire), replacing the wire did not so lve the problem since the computer shut the cylinder down. This makes diag nosis very difficult (cannot simply swap wires, spark plugs or coils). If this is the case does anybody know how to 'reset' the computer. I know how to erase the code but I don't think that is the same thing.

All replies appreciated,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
ivanvegvary

Computers don't "shut cylinders down" when there is a running problem.

Reply to
no way

the computer doesn't "shut down" the cylinder permanently, only when it determines that it's not firing. try new plugs and see what happens.

and buy an obd reader. it'll allow you to reset the codes.

Reply to
jim beam

Tell that to the Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting outside our shop.

Testing shows the injector gets its firing pulse until the number of misfires hits 200 or so, then the signal is cut off, and the "misfire" code is set. The cylinder is then "dead" until the code is cleared, and it starts all over.

Reply to
Sanity Clause

it should be a temporary shutdown, not permanent. as you say, it should count a number of no-ignition events, then quit injecting to save emissions and the catalyst. but it should also re-test periodically too.

Reply to
jim beam

"Sanity Clause" wrote in news:jevtr1$p3r$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Protection for the cat, evidently. Seems like a sensible approach to me.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:13016753.1083.1326592142437.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@proa7:

That's not what a misfire code is telling you to do.

Reply to
Tegger