Perhaps not a BHG? (crosses fingers...)

My Supra has been sitting in the backyard waiting to get a new headgasket since July. I decided it was time for it to get put up in the garage for the winter, so I started it up and filled the radiator.

The temp climbed up to 75-80% on the gauge, and then...dropped. The heater was still blowing cold air, so I opened it up and added more antifreeze.

I took it down to get a cup of coffee and some more antifreeze, realized I had forgotten my wallet, came back home (only 4 miles round trip), got the antifreeze and filled the radiator some more, took it another mile and a half and filled the tires, then went back and got another cup of coffee, filled the raditor, took it for about 7 miles down a 50 MPH road, turned around, came back, then went about another 5-6 miles and back again. Never overheated (of course, it's also not 94 degrees...)ran the motor at different speeds, all the way up to 65 MPH; all in all the motor was running for about 2 hours and the temp was rock solid.

Guess all I needed was a new radiator...I hope. I have a head gasket just in case, but all in all I'm not sorry for not running the car because the suspension is WHUPPED and the U joints need replacing badly...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

So where's the water going that you had to keep filling the radiator?

Reply to
m6onz5a

I replaced the radiator in July and never finished it because the indications were a BHG. So it never really got 'burped'.

Ran the motor for about 2 hours yesterday, and after filling the last time, stayed full.

Checked it before starting it up today...full.

Ran it for about an hour today, will check again tomorrow.

Also, no hot antifreeze in the overflow bottle. Before I changed the radiator it was shooting out of the bottle overflow. Bottle level is the same today as it was yesterday.

I also replaced the radiator cap with a real Toyota unit, not aftermarket.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I put a prayer request, in the local submit your prayer list jar at the 2nd hand shop, for your Toyota last summer.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Alas...I opened the overflow bottle and got a good whiff of exhaust. Thanks for the prayer, though. Every little bit helps...

It goes in the garage for the winter this week. I'm going to strip the interior so we can do the body work in the spring, and get ready to get the head off...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B