Petrol Engine for Bicyle?

Hi everyone,

I know nothing about Mechanics, but in the smallish city in England that i live, I think a petrol powerered bicycle would be really cool! The traffic is always bad here, so I wondered how feasible it would be to attach an engine to a bike. (I'm not interested in an electric motor)

Does anyone know of any simple petrol motor kits which are sold that can be attached to a bike? I found one example of such a bike called the VeloSolex:

it's nearly =A31000. I found one on Ebay, but it's located in Austrailia, but better priced at: =A3282.

Any hints or pointers?

Reply to
Pretzelz

For anyone interested in converting your bike, I found the exact answer I was looking for here:

It's a US company who makes simple engine kits to install onto the back on a bicycle. Quick release, so I'm not sure how secure that would be in public.

If anyone would care to look at the website and comment about the different models of engine available (they have five engines named under the ENGINE KITS menu on the left). Unfortunately the people who made the website decided to give a specification for each engine, but different statistical information for each one, so its harder to compare some of the models.

Prices are pretty good though, around $300 to $450 - much better than buying a complete petrol bicycle all in one.

Reply to
Pretzelz

Ever heard of something called a "moped?"

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

=========================================== You should consider a complete unit with wheel strength, braking and suspension designed to match the capabilities of the engine. The pedals are going to wind up primarily as footrests, since you would be pedalling extra weight. Best to just look at a small motorcycle and study the Smith System of Space Cushion driving to keep yourself alive. Actually, you'll soon discover that a larger motorcyle can be safer than a smaller one since you have more power and control. A small Honda isn't much different from a moped and you get brake lights and turn signals. For a real road going bike, an old BMW would be my choice.

Reply to
Daniel

What you are looking for is called a Moped. A Velosolex is one such animal.

I am in Canada and don't have a source, but they do sell motors to put on regular bicycles. They then become 'mopeds' and require lights and a license and helmet to drive them on the street.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks, I already have a moped and a car. I just thought the idea of buzzing about on a bike with an engine would be fun.

Reply to
Pretzelz

It is possible to attach a small motor that drives directly on the tire. To be honest I think that you will find all of the fiddling to get it attached and running will not be worth the modest power assist you will get. If inexpensive transport in heavy traffic is what you are looking for then consider a moped, or even a small scooter.

Pretzelz wrote:

Reply to
John S.