Labor for Top Engine Rebuild

I have a 73 Super that I plan to have a top engine rebuild done on soon.

Can anyone give me an estimate of what the normal labor only charge should run?

Thanks.

Reply to
NDallas

Are you removing the engine, exhaust and tin? Are you removing the intake manifold? Are you supplying new pistons, cylinders and heads? Heck you have taken the engine down to where you could finish the job! 8^)

If you are not removing the engine does your Super have: Autostick? A/C?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'm having someone remove the engine and new heads, new pistons, new push rods, and new tubes will be installed. The estimate was $700 for labor and $550 for the parts.

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
NDallas

How much are the NEW engines going for? Is this person experienced with the aircooled engines? What brand are the pistons and cylinders? Downtime is what 1-3 days?

If you are happy....I am happy! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Just curious what shop/mechanic are you using?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I'm using a local small shop in Plano, Tx. that has done a good job on my bug in the past (rebuilt entire front end, replaced tranny, new CV boots, brake job, etc.). He has ordered new heads, new pistons, new rods, new tubes, and new heads for $550. Rebuilts run $399 from Mid America Motorworks, but he said he has seen a lot of rebuilts that are cheaply done and not done right. I guess the old saying applies.....you get what you pay for!! Labor of about $700 will be to pull the engine, remove the tin, and install the new stuff, then reinstall the engine.

From what I've found >> I have a 73 Super that I plan to have a top engine rebuild done on soon.

Reply to
NDallas

Have you ever been down to V-Dub Folks? When Knights went under that's the FLAPS for VW stuff that I've been using. I don't know if they have in-house mechanics but they might have be able to recommend some. They're at 1410 E. South Sixth St. in Irving. Oh, redone their website I see:

Michael Cecil

Reply to
NDallas