Plastic Fuel Lines and Ethanol

Hey all;

Thisis sort of off topic for this newsgroup but it's the only one close enough.

I have a gas weed wacker. Every year, I have to replace one or more fuel lines because they are shrinking/cracking. The local engine repair shop says this is because of ethanol in gasoline.

Is there any different fuel line material I can use to prevent this? I try and drain all the fuel out of the tank after each use and this helps but doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks in advance; Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have had the same problems with my newish Husgvarna chain saw. Tygon tubing seems to hold up well, and is not hard to access.

Hope this helps

Reply to
hls

Maybe.

Ask a BMW dealer for a foot or so of the BMW fuel line hose with an external fabric braid. They don't use it on the newer cars, but it is nearly indestructable. They have 3.5mm and 5mm and up sizes... probably small enough for a weed wacker. I use the stuff on my lawnmower and have never had a problem with it sitting. HOWEVER, I also store it full, with fuel in it every year, and a good heavy dose of fuel stabilizer.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Don't know for sure about ethanol, but used to work with model airplanes using methanol. The neoprene tubing we first used for fuel lines would harden and break after awhile. Then hobby shops began carrying silicone tubing which worked fine for alcohol- no more brittling. Give it a try.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota