'71 Ghia jumpy fuel guage

It works, but it jumps from empty to it's actual quite a bit.

Most likely cause ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Steve Mc

Bad contacts either in the sender cable, connector, or the vibrator adjustment pot (i think it's called) on the back of the gauge.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

or even pressure in the tank. I think that's my problem with my gauge going from half to 1/4 for no reason. My line to the charcoal bottle is apparently blocked

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I've had two fuel sender problems. On my 1967 bus, the fuel gauge quit working. About 4 years ago, I fill the tank with E85 because it was cheap. However, I didn't know what E85 actually was. I drove it non-stop for 100 miles and when I pulled into town, the engine had significantly reduced power. I then filled it with regular gasoline, got all my power back and my fuel gauge has worked properly ever since. My second issue is with my 1995 Subaru. They don't sell Chevron gas were I live and I know from past experience from 2006 that if I use Chevron, my gas gauge works. This past Thanksgiving, I drove from Cheyenne WY to Houston TX and back. I used Chevron all the way and my gas gauge is working again. I have used Techron additive, but it doesn't seem to work as good as the actual gasoline.

Reply to
Bob

A possibility is the gauge is not securely grounded on the back of the dash.

Randall

I would start by cleaning the wire terminals and connectors on the sender and gauge resonator/vibrator end. They might be corroded. The tank needs also to have good ground contact.

Olli

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Thank you all.

I'll check 'em out.

Reply to
Steve Mc

I would start by cleaning the wire terminals and connectors on the sender and gauge resonator/vibrator end. They might be corroded. The tank needs also to have good ground contact.

Olli

Reply to
John