plastic push pins

Changing timing belt on 2008 Kia Rondo 2.7 engine. Flat rate is approximately 3 hours. I spent 1.2 hours just futzing with the removal of the inner fender (plastic push pins). How do the professionals deal with this? I could have punched/yanked them out in circa 10 minutes, but my experience is that I can never find the right replacement at the local Napa etc. What do the big boys do? Ivan Vegvary, amateur mechanic.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Ivan Vegvary wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Do these clips not have an internal pin that is pulled outwards BEFORE you remove the assembly from its hole?

Such clips typically have four legs. So long as the internal pin is retracted, the legs can collapse so as to end up being the same size as the receiving hole. Once the clip is installed, the pin is pushed in all the way, which spreads the legs to lock the clip in its hole.

Reply to
Tegger

Like this?

AMuzi

AMuzi wrote in news:l8qi2c$gd5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Exak-l-akly!

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:XnsA299C3756D0Btegger@208.90.168.18:

However... If Kia is still using the "screw" type center post, shame on them.

On the screw post type, the factory simply zips the "screw" portion home by pushing on it with a thumb. But when the unfortunate end-users try to unscrew them, the heads often just spin around and don't come out. The trick is to use a dull dentist's pick or tiny flat screwdriver to gently lever slightly under the post's head while turning with a Phillips screwdriver. Eventually the threads "catch" and the post will come out, at which point the rest of the fastener will come out easily.

Honda is using far better clips these days with center posts that just push in and pull out.

Reply to
Tegger

The two piece deals with the pin in the middle that expands them?

pull the pin with either side cutters or a tiny flat blade screwdriver

then pull the whole thing with pliers

this is one of those things where if you've seen it apart before it's easy; if you have *not* it is hard.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel