Pontiac Sunbird, No Power

Hi All,

I have a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird SE. 2.0 liter, automatic.

My car simply has very poor power. I know that these cars aren't the most powerful, but I know it could do a lot better.

I have done the following:

Changed distributor cap & wires Changed fuel filter Cleaned the throttle body Changed oxygen & fuel sensor Changed air filter Changed muffler

I simply can not think of anything else to try! The only thing left that I am going to try is removing my catalytic convertor and test it to see if it runs better without it, so I can buy a new one. But I doubt it's that because after driving it for a long time one night, I checked it, and it wasn't red (from being overheated). Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated... I have been trying to figure this out for over 6 months. Thank you for your time.

Reply to
KrazyLoCo

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses.

I changed the distributor caps and spark plug wires along with the spark plugs.

It could be the tranny, but I thought when it slipped, it ran loose (eg: in neutral)? If it helps any, I don't have much power when going up hills, more so when I take off on them, or start at the bottom. Maybe that's normal.

I checked the transmission oil, and it was topped off. I will find out what burnt transmission oil is and then I will check that. I keep thinking though that my problem is a blockage problem with the gas. I don't know why... maybe because it seems like it is getting too rich of a mixture when I first take off, then when I am going faster, it shoots harder, so it gets by whatever is blocking it. I don't know if that's possible...? Thank you for all your replies, please get back to me if you have any more ideas. I will look into possible problems with the tranny!

Reply to
KrazyLoCo