1992 Pontiac Grand Am Won't Start

I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am, SE, 2.3L , 4cyl, OHC. A couple days ago while driving, my car suddenly stalled and the service engine light came on. After waiting a few minutes I tried to start it again and it worked. This happened again two more times. This morning, when going to start the car, it started for 2 seconds then died. Now, when I try to start it, it cranks, but will not start. I have tried replacing the fuel filter and the spark plugs, but it still won't start. While I had the fuel filter off, I turned the key (to make sure the fuel pump was working) and it pumped fuel fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks

Reply to
n a

This sounds familiar to what I've experienced, first of all have you checked for spark?? (take an aligator clip and insert it into a spark plug wire, pull the wire from a spark plug). have an assistant crank the engine - you should see several blue sparks inside the wire (have the aligator clip about 1/4 inch away from the metal inside the cable). I suspect you won't see spark. The problem with mine was the Crankshaft position sensor - replaced and runs better than ever.

Reply to
voyeurrox

Reply to
Slicknick

It's either spark, fuel, or timing of both/either. You will have to figure out which. What are the CEL codes?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=B0?=

Tried replacing the crank sensor, Map sensor, Coil Pack/Ignition Module today... anyone think it could be the camshaft sensor?

Reply to
n a

It could be almost anything. Instead of just throwing more money at it, why not read the codes or check for spark first?

Reply to
Chris Z.

I read the codes... the only one I got was 34 which is MAP sensor signal voltage was too low (high vacuum) for 0.2 seconds when engine speed was under 1200 RPM or when engine speed was over 1200 RPM with throttle opening was over 15.2%. I replaced the MAP sensor... I'm starting to get desperate... any ideas?

Reply to
n a

Did you check for spark?

Reply to
clevere

How can I check for spark on a Quad 4 with no spark plugs?

Reply to
n a

Well theres why it wont start. Maybe you should put some spark plugs in it.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Oops... I meant to ask how can I check for spark on a Quad 4 with no Spark Plug WIRES?

Reply to
n a

Well you need your wires on there to check for spark...

Best thing to do is get a spark tester which will have a large gap to=20 jump. If your wires, plugs, or coil is bad it wont jump that gap. (it=20 should be rated to test a modern 40k volt spark system) It will look=20 somewhat simular to a spark plug. You should be able to pick one up at any= =20 autoparts store for under 10 bucks. Does your car hit and miss or does it= =20 not fire at all? What ever is wrong with it seems to be on the primary=20 side of the ignition system. I'm also wondering if your crank sensor was=20 installed correctly? One other question I got is are your injectors spraying fuel as in are=20 they being pulsed?=20 If you arent following any of this you might want to take it to a shop.=20 The fuel pressure could of been checked without removing the fuel filter.= =20 Also how do you know the fuel filter wasnt clogged?=20

.
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

It's not too hard on the SOHC engines. Pull off the aluminum cover and put a spark tester in the end of the spark plug connector. This is how I did it on mine. :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Z.

Do what Chris said .. pull the plug wire cover, and check for spark. I just pull mine off one at a time, ground the wire to the block, and see if spark shoots out :P

Pack/Ignition

Reply to
clevere

The map sensor code was set because the engine was not running correctly. Odds are the map sensor was just fine. What does the inside of the spark cover look like? Is it all burned up?

Reply to
houston

Or you have a vacuum problem. Just check for spark to move on, I don't believe that's were the problem is. How does your airfilter look, if that's real dirty your engine can suck a pretty big vacuum. Good luck.

Reply to
Baudolino