Possible to convert 2 stroke petrol to diesel?

Hello,
I have been thinking if the following will work:
1. By shaving the cylinder head sufficiently, increase compression ratio to about 17:1 so that diesel ignites.
2. Feed only lubricating oil (2T oil) to the carburettor, since the oil is needed to lubricate the crank shaft, etc. Remove the throttle mechanism so that full air intake is allowed into the cylinder.
3. Replace the spark plug with a Diesel injector, but use such a small injector that the pressure developed is equal to the pressure that would be developed if normal petrol-air fuel was used. Basically, making sure that the piston, connecting rod, etc are inside their safe working ramge.
Will this work? Has anyone tried such an experiment?
Thanks for any inputs. Sreenath
"sreenath" wrote

A carburettor in a Diesel car? The Diesel fuel (=oil) is already a lubricator!

That's a critical point. Direct fuel injection is not easy. You need very high pressure and special designed injectors. And of course also a device generating this high fuel pressure.
Thomas
Thomas Schfer wrote:

diesel engine working on the same principle as the of you have describe these engines where made by fairbanks-morse in the 40's and 50'
they where used in marine and electric power station application
these fairbanks had reed valve like gas 2 stroke engine, transfer and exhaust ports
but they had some draw backs like exhaust port fouling with carbon deposite witch had to be removed on a regular basses to restore engine performance and they had a wet crankcase with oil in it so it was not a good idea to run them too fast or it might go out of control using its own engine oil as fuel ( the mechanical governer was set around a no load max speed of 400 rpm to be safe for a fairbanks-morse 6 cyl 240 hp model:35D10 and it weight 17 tons with all accessory :) )

It's an interesting concept, but since it's a gas engine to start with the strength is not there to take the cylinder pressures of the diesel. If you could get it to run at all it would be short lived.
snipped-for-privacy@neverbox.com (WasteNotWantNot) wrote in message

That's why I stated in my first mail that I would use a very small injector so that the machine limitations would not be exceeded.
Would it be possible to replace the present cylinder head with a new one that has a "combustion chamber" resulting in indirect injection.
Is it worth tryint this at all? Cheap used 2 stroke motorcycles can be bought.
Thanks, Sreenath
sreenath wrote:

The problem is that the pressures required to get the diesel to self-ignite and therefor sustain combustion are far in excess of what a gasoline engine is designed for. Also, the bearings in a gas motor are very fragile compared to those in a diesel motor, so would likely fail almost instantly in a conversion like this. Air-cooled motorcycle engines are even weaker in this regard. Sure, if you feel like blowing up one engine after another I'd say go for it, but I wouldn't use an engine so converted for transportation unless you have a good towing service. :)
JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.