Power Steering Problem

My 00 Grand Am seems to have a large amount of air pressure in the power steering system. What I mean is, when I take the cap off the power steering pump, theres a loud "phssssssst" noise of air escaping. Is this normal? Why is there excess air pressure in the power steering? I've never had a car with any air pressure like this before... I'm hoping that this isnt causing any damage to the pump or rack and pinion... can someone please tell me whats going on?

Reply to
waterboy44

I've noticed that on some of my vehicles. It could be that it is just heat expansion of the air and oil. Try taking the cap off when the oil is always at the same temperature - 150F for example, or 50F, etc.

Reply to
« Paul »