Price of Fuel.

OK, I am watching the old 1940 movie on the TCM channel,,,, The Lone Wolf Keeps a Date. They are making a getaway on a big boat.The guy on the dock, running the gas pump, he said, I put 125 gallons in, that will be twenty dollars, is that enough?

I was born in 1941, I don't remember the price of gasoline way back in those years, but the price of gasoline was peanuts compared to nowadays.Those old gas pumps were a treat to watch too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

According to

gas was .19 in1941. Adjusted for inflation that would be $2.63 today so technicallyfuel cost hurts just as bad in 1941 as they do today. Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Try driving a 4500lb car with a low compression engine.

Reply to
Steve Austin

IMO, this book is a must read: "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin. It is very good.

Reply to
« Paul »

Steve B., wonder if prices moved from 1941 to 1943/1944 kinda like they did between 2003 and 2005/2006?--not so sure about these exact years, but IIRC it happened over a period of about 2-3 years. However, it's still cheap compared to the price of Pepsi, when we look at the 12-oz bottles at $1.00 in some vending machines--$1.00 X 128/12 = $10.67 per gallon. And, we CAN substitute cheaper (than in plastic bottles!) water for the Pepsi. Reckon we all should be more thankful for the relative bargain we have in gas prices. Another tidbit: I was born in '44, in a very poor, rural area, and can remember struggling with those gas pump levers and acting deaf as an adult customer coaxed this kid to "hit it one more time". Also recall those days that began so horribly when early A.M. my dad began removing that glass tank: I knew who was nominated to scrub/clean the glass with baking soda. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Well, gas and diesel prices here are ridiculous. Wish we had more musclecars back in the sixties and seventies.

Reply to
VZLN.Biker

Excellent book!

I was born in '38, but worked in a gas station while I was in school, from about 1952 to about 1967. Gas was always (in Detroit) in the range of 35 cents a gallon. As someone else pointed out, with inflation that is just about what I am paying this week.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota