Problem with wiper blades or windshield glass?

This is worse and worse with my 2001 Chev Impala. Using wipers when raining could make the windshield look even more blurred, making the driving on rainy days very tough. Maybe the wiper blades need to be changed? or could be the windshield glass surface needs special cleaning?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John61

Could be either or both. Sometimes you pick up an oily film from road spray, especially if it has been a while since it rained or you washed the car. Blades don't last more than a year, if that. If they are a year or more old, get new blades and give the windshield a good cleaning before you install them.

Also, how many miles on that windshield? If may be pitted and more apt to hold road gunk too. I live in an are where they sand the roads in winter and the windshield can be a mess at about 70,000 miles and sand residue can eat up blades quickly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

also at least two Impalas I've driven the driver's side wiper runs off the edge of the glass at the end of its sweep and drags the last couple inches of the blade over the windshield trim, that wears out the sharp edge of the blade more quickly than necessary. A good sharp edge is necessary to avoid the effect you describe.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

At least one wiper company recommends cleaning the glass with Bon Ami cleanser (probably because it contains no chlorine, not because it scratches less -- it actually scratches more), and a couple say wipe the edges off with alcohol. I've also heard of people having problems with glass wax, like Rain-X, making the windshield too slick.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

My neighbor swears by Rain-X. He put it on my windshield to show me just how wonderful it was. i found driving at night in the rain to be a nightmare. Streaks and huge smudges. I couldn't get that crap off my windshield fast enough.

Reply to
BlueBuyYoo

I always throw a few drops of dishwashing detergent into the bin when I refill the windshield washer. It really cleans the oil smears off, keeps the wiper clean, and cost next to nothing. I have no idea if it rots any rubber anywhere, but so far it doesn't seem to.

Reply to
Happy Trails

I take it you haven't priced decent blades lately. A good set will run around $20+ for both sides.

Reply to
Tim J.

Reply to
Roy Bragg

The problem is that the washing solution is as dilute as they can make it and still get away with charging full price. Adding both some more detergent (as you are doing), and a little more methanol, can help a lot.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Whatever happened to windshield washer concentrate? I don't remember ever seeing it, but it must have been the norm at one time, as I have several old glass bottles that were intended to be mounted under the hood of a car to hold the concentrate. Apparently if your windshield washer reservoir went dry on the road, you'd simply pour a little concentrate into it and then fill with water. Sure is handier than carrying a leaky gallon jug in the back seat, as you can pretty much count on finding water anywhere with a restroom.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I have dumped more than a few Cokes on the windshield during a rain to clear the film. Rain-X will work a couple of times if used properly but, when it will become a royal mess soon and have to be removed. I cannot be applied when wet. The best thing is good blades and a good solvent cleaner in the washer tank. The down side is that a good strong solvent that does well cleaning the glass will damage paint on the roof over time. You can see the pattern on many cars that are a few years old.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

My local auto parts store (Auto Parts and Supply in Williamsburg, VA) carries two different brands of the concentrate. I have never personally used either, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That's BS. No matter how I held the bread, the liverwurst smeared all over and the onion only took part of it off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Used to be very common but just about disappeared around the 70's or so. Instead of shipping a half pint of concentrate, they ship a gallon of water in a big jug. We like the convenience of just pouring it in. That may change with fuel costs, just as it has for laundry detergents.

I think you'd be better off with the concentrate and a bottle of Evian.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yup, you save a lot of money using concentrate and tap water. I never buy the ready-mix stuff, mostly because I like mixing it myself. In the summer I use maybe 20%, while in the winter ~40% is needed to lower the freezing point to under -20C.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

The concentrate that consisted of alcohol an detergent is now comes premixed in a gallon bottle. It is still cheaper for one to make their own mix

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You forgot the most important part... three drops of blue food coloring.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Bon Ami would polish without scratching. That was its forte. It was formulated with ground feldspar, not harsh abrasives.

Reply to
HLS

______________ This question is not just for you, BlueBuyYoo: Are you folks applying Rain-X or Rain Dance to a just cleaned and perfectly dry windshield??? Becaues if not, you might as well be spraying it down the TOILET. I've never had these issues with either product, even on moderately pitted windshields - as long as they had just been cleaned

- either through a car-wash or at home via a garden hose and detergent.

Also, I just installed these:

on my windshield and so far they seem to be avoiding the problems associated with traditional "pressure-point"
wiper blade arms.

You might not even need to apply Rain-X type product in conjunction with the Ancos I linked to.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Are you folks applying Rain-X or Rain Dance to a just cleaned and perfectly dry windshield???

There is more than one type of Rain-X product. The one you put on the outside of the windows is not the same as the one you put inside to keep the fogging under control.

The inside version is a surface active material, which is designed to cause the fog droplets to merge and form a clear film of water. Similar to the materials you put inside your ski mask, etc. These are generally quaternary compounds, sort of similar to fabric softeners.

The one which is used on the outside is different and is designed to last longer when in contact with lots of water (rain). It also forms a film on the glass, letting the water sheet off. Some people love this one and others dont. I am of the latter leaning. To me, no matter how it is applied, it has irritating effects.

To each his own.

Reply to
HLS