QUALCO Muffler Weld - Exhaust system repair

If anybody still interested in this thread from 8/6/2005: It is over a week since I did the repair and so far so good. I have inspected the car today and even made a picture:

cracks come from too tick layer of the goo I put on.It did harden from the surface leaving the bottom layerswet and soft - when I started the car after a day ofdrying it hardened too quick leaving cracks. The cracksdo not affect the performance of the glued pieces at all.It is rock-hardened and sealed completely.Exhaust works as new, I am very satisfied with this $2.99 repair. BTW here is the link to the product I have used:
here is its MSDS:
Greetings, Pszemol.

Reply to
Pszemol

:-) Ha, ha, ha... it cracked. This glue did not hold the pipes. This repair lasted less than 3 weeks!

Reply to
Pszemol

I have actually had good luck with the high temperature silicone cements for field-expedient muffler repair. The red stuff from GE Silicones is what the local industrial place carries and I have had it last at least the six months or so that it took me to get around to fixing it properly. The silicone never really hardens but remains rubbery, so that it does not break when the muffler flexes and changes shape as it heats and cools.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey