Chevy Blazer ignition problem.

First the stats: 91 Chev. S-10 Blazer, 4x4, 4.3L engine, automatic, loaded up with every whiz-bang known to autodom... Over 200K miles on it.

Was driving around town, everything was fine. I was stopped at a red light for maybe 20 seconds and the engine cut out for less than a second, ran for another second and then stopped and would not re-start. A quick check under the hood didn't seem to reveal much. My first suspicion was the fuel pump, so I pulled the top off the air cleaner and looked down what passes for a carburator (two barrels, two injectors) and they didn't seem to be squirting any fuel when the engine was cranked over.

(Obviously, when you break down in the middle of an intersection, you soon acquire lots of "help...")

I had it pulled home.

I first tried pouring a little gas down it to see if it would fire. It didn't.

Next, suspecting it may have slipped time (I've lost three engines that way...) I put the timing light on it. The timing light didn't trigger. I put a little "el cheapo" spark tester on it. It didn't flash (I tried it on my pickup and it works fine...). Pulled the distributor cap and, yes, the rotor turns when you crank it.

Have both the Haynes and Chiltons manuals. Interestingly, one says that the pickup coil in the distributor should read infinite resistance to ground while the other says it should NOT (caps theirs...) read infinite to ground. Went through the other checks the two manuals suggested.

Finally, I bit the bullet and concluded the only thing common to both the ignition and injectors was the engine control computer, so I bit the bullet and replaced it. Nada...

I don't have the means to read out the codes from the computer. When I bought the vehicle (from a close friend... I've "known" the vehicle for about 10 years....) and we took it for a smog check to transfer the title, it was running rough and, of course, wouldn't pass. They tried reading the codes and told us that the readout connector was not working. (After two hours of flailing, they found one sparkplug wire had come off...). So, I didn't think finding a code reader would be all that helpful. I hope the new computer fixes that...

Anyhow, this is where I'm at. Sorry for kind of a long post, but I figured the more information I provided, the better chance I'd have of someone spotting something that I didn't. I don't want to just keep throwing parts at it until something fixes it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Shep

Did you check for spark from the coil and the distributor tower? If you have no spark to engine , but spark to distributor then it could be a bad rotor, replace cap also if rotor bad.

Reply to
edmechanic