Question of Ford F350 brake system

That sure sounds like a master cylinder or ABS failure to me.

Even if you have worn enough rear brake shoes to blow out the cylinder, the fronts 'must' still work.

If the pedal hit the floor and wouldn't grab after that, then it is 'WAY' more than just rear shoes and a rear cylinder you are looking at.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@woh.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have 2001 F-350 CrewCab, 4x4, LB DRW, 7.3 PSD with 33600 miles. Recently I was stopping from 35mph and while pressing the brake pedal heard the rear brakes grinding. [This was not a high speed or short distance stop]. Then, the brake pedal went to floor. I slammed the parking park and veered to the left to avoid rear ending the car in front of me. Prior to this incident, I never heard the rear brakes grinding or had any other indication the rear brakes were worn.

My questions. 1) Since Ford brake system design uses a front bias, 85 % of braking is from front disc brakes, 15% from rear drums, why didn't my front brakes, which are in great shape, stop me during this incident? 2) Why did the brake pedal hit the floor? I checked the fluid level and its normal. I drove the truck to a parking lot and break line pressure felt normal again, however, the grinding persisted.

I had the truck towed to a Ford service center for repair. They offered an answer or two along with a pretty significant bill. While the truck is still under warranty, they said that worn brakes caused the damage and wear items like brake pads are not covered. I'm not sure I buy their answer on why the front brakes didnt stop me which is why I'm asking in this forum. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks Brent

Reply to
BGIBSON6

According to the Ford service center, the pedal went to the floor because the pistons in the rear brakes were over extended trying to engage the rotor.

I never put the tranny into park. I was already slowing down from about 35. I was actually at about 15 mph when the pedal suddenly let loose and went to floor. I was also going up a slight hill which helped. Slamming on the parking brake also helped even though it was just metal on metal.

Thanks for the interest!

Reply to
BGIBSON6