Question: vehicle inspections

Most of my life in California and Oregon. I don't believe any of the western states do inspections other than emissions. Rarely ever see a broken down car along the highway. What's the purpose of the inspections by some of the eastern states? Just a money grab? Is it really safer to drive within said 'inspection states'? (I hear that in Germany you cannot drive with dents). Crazy! Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

When I was in Germany, beat up old cars were sold to US soldiers, who had a lower standard. My fave repair shop today told me that they knew several w ho went out of business refusing to play along with new inspection rules de signed to give money to relatives of crooked politicians.

I now think there is a movement to prevent poor folks from having cars, jud ging by several small new annoyances.

Reply to
synthius2002

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 10:21:03 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

a lower standard. My fave repair shop today told me that they knew several who went out of business refusing to play along with new inspection rules designed to give money to relatives of crooked politicians.

udging by several small new annoyances.

Google,,, Mississippi to do away with State Inspection Stickers

Reply to
JR

IF the inspections were done by the book the vehicles would be safer and the roads as well as part of the inspection is looking for leaks. BUT like many other things the inspection comes down to the people doing them. In NY at least, the biggest thing is a real lack of enforcement/accountability in the process. Shops get away with simply plugging in the computer and slapping on the sticker. There are areas where they are supposed to look and check components and they don't. The state will run a few sting cars now and again but usually that is only due to complaints. What needs to happen is one of two options. Remodel the system so that each of the inspection items gets recorded (like tire tread, brake pad/shoe thickness, etc) and the inspector becoming liable if something they sign off on becomes an issue. That would be fought tooth and nail by the shops. The other option would be to eliminate inspections as they have largely been useless anyway.

Reply to
Steve W.

IMHO they are worthless and just a way for shops and politicians to pull in money. I have seen a couple studies over the years that documented the worthlessness of these "safety inspections". It is exceptionally rare for any vehicle to have something break that causes an accident and in virtually every case when something like that does happen it would not have been prevented by an annual inspection. Is it possible that 00.003% of the accidents could be prevented by really tough safety inspections? Sure, it's possible. You could also mandate everyone buy new tires every two years and reduce the number of accidents caused by blowouts. Everything has a price and the cost-benefit ratio of these inspections is unquestionably negative, except as I said, to the shops and politicians.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

MOT and similar auto inspections in Europe. They check everything, I think so.

Reply to
JR

I noticed in the UK that there didn't seem to be any old junkers on the road. Where the heck do all the older cars go? I did see a 70s Austin Marina. It was restored and I just had to take some pictures. I would have liked to have taken pictures of old English/European cars but I didn't see any.

Reply to
dsi1

I believe any old British, or whatever Country cars in Britian, they must meet certain British MOT regulations before they can be qualified to be driven on the roads. Google,,, Wheeler Dealers Youtube

Reply to
JR

Maryland has one inspection when you buy the car. Very strict too. But you only have to do it once. Then only emissions after that.

Reply to
m6onz5a