2002 Gti 1.8T and max speed

recently while driving from SF Bay Area to Las Vegas I got my Golf Gti 1.8T up to 140Mil/hour (on an empty & straight stretch of highway)

-- until now I was thinking that all VW are limited to 130mil/hour. Comments anybody

Reply to
Frank Puck

My comment is I think you are foolish to do this.

Reply to
Tom Levigne

why -- I could see 1 mile ahead and thus a police car was out of the question. There was nobody else on the road so I did not endanger anybody else. The highway was pretty straight and smooth so there was no danger of a bump -- I could see 1 mile ahead. The only problem could have been an airplane measuring my speed. But trying this once when you have the chance -- I was willing to pay a couple of hundreds of dollars for this

Peter

Reply to
Frank Puck

Must of got a lemon, it was my understanding the limit was 133mph. Did you buy it new or used? If used the ECU maybe chipped.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

So what? All it takes is a blowout or some other malfunction (and every piece of hardware in your vehicle is being pushed to its limit at that speed), and then you and your vehicle are just scattered body parts. Use a little common sense.

Reply to
Papa

"Papa" vrote news:3_mtf.4409$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Hi, In Germany, where this car is designed, It´s legal to drive at full speed on the freeways. The car is build to do so.

The top models from Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi etc. here in Europe, are limited to a top speed at 250 km/hour (Thats 156 miles/hour)

Best Regards Kent Nielsen Denmark (100 miles north of the German border.)

Reply to
Kent Nielsen

How did you check the speed? Do you have a GPS? If you rely only on the speedometer, they are not very accurate.

Reply to
Ernest

Yes, I know. I have visited and driven in Europe, including Germany, many times, and have witnessed how well car owners maintain their cars (they have to in that part of the world because it's the law and there are stiff rules - similar to the FAA rules in this country for aircraft). Europeans are very well disciplined as drivers. Unfortunately, the same is not true here in the United States, where the highways are not safe for high speed driving for many reasons, including inadequate highway maintenance, drivers traveling in tight clusters of vehicles (thus inviting multiple car pile-ups), the fact that any vehicle such as a large truck can drive in whatever lane they choose, uncertainty as to a car's condition (even for new cars) due to the dismal array of poorly enforced car inspection laws. Some states don't even have mandatory car inspections.

I agree with your assumption that some cars are built for high speed. All well and good, but if something happens at a high speed (for example, a new tire blows out because a piece of glass was picked up at your last stop - or on the highway). then you are dead. That's why European automobile accidents are almost always fatal. As the saying goes, speed kills.

Regards.

Reply to
Papa

"Papa" skrev i en meddelelse news:cDvtf.4526$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...>

Hi again. I work in a car inspection here in Denmark. We must, from the car is four years old, go to a car inpection every two year. At the inspection station, we are controlling parts that are security related, for example, brakes, suspension, rust in frame/body, steering parts etc but also the exhaust gasses are being examined. If You don´t show up to the inspection, the police are removing your licensplates and you getting a fine. A thing also to remember is that a car are verry expensive here, we are paying a tax to the state when the car is being registred the first time, this tax is 180 % of the price, so we are nearly paying tree car when we are getting one. That could also animate people to propper maintain there vehicles.

We have a "3 strikes and you are out" policy on major trafic violations, for example high speeding, overtake on right side, streetrace, not having your minor passenger using the seatbelt and a lot other of violations. On the third strike, the court is suspending your drivers license.

I was in New York in 1998, and drove fra NY to DC, it was a bit scarry experience, especialy the fact that´s legal to overtake to the right. (And the trucks are doing this)

Yes I agree, when things go wrong, it gets more fatal/ugly when the speed is high.

Happy New Year.

Best regards Kent Nielsen

Reply to
Kent Nielsen

When I was seventeen I got up to 120mph once. Damn I was stupid. Good luck.

Reply to
Ted

if you did 120mil/hour on a two-lane road I would agree. I would also agree if you do this on a highway while passing other cars which are doing only legal speeds or if you could not watch ahead more than 1000feet. But on an empty straight highway with a view until the horizon there is no reason not to go this fast. I hope law-makers come to their senses and allow faster highway speeds. Together with some traffic cameras to catch real dangerous driving this would be feasible. Just because most people drive trucks ot SUVs we don't have to limit the rest to speeds save with such kind of cars.

Reply to
Frank Puck

You have a lot to learn. I sincerely hope that you live long enough to do just that.

Reply to
Papa

I'm German. In Germany even people aged 50 or more are usually driving such speeds.

Reply to
Frank Puck

Maybe 120kph. I seriously doubt people routinely drive 120mph.

Reply to
Ted

Do not doubt that.

Sheltered life apparently.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

people routinely drive such speeds and faster if the conditions allow it or if the conditions invite it (means an empty straight highway)

-- even mercedes drivers which are usually older than 50 Only people with 70hp cars are driving at 120km/h That does not mean that you will not find a mercedes with only 120km/h

-- especially if the highway is packed and driving faster would results in stress

Reply to
Frank Puck

That's nonsense. I've been on many Autobahns, and have never seen any vehicle go that fast (120 MPH) - even when the traffic was sparse. I'm sure a few have done it, but they are the exception, and certainly not the rule.

Reply to
Papa

Okay, I did a little research and found that 50% drive over 80mph and 15% are over 96mph. So some over 120mph is credible, but certainly not many.

Apparently the road are significantly better than anything we have in the US. Still...

Reply to
Ted

You're not crazy... I have a 100mph+ boat. Enjoy and be careful!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck