Questions for the geniuses here.

I need a bit of advice and some opinions here from all the geniuses. I have a 91 legacy sedan which has just recently gone south on me. I'm wondering if it would be smart to try to get this car fixed, or if I should have her replaced with something else. If I do get another car, I'm looking at buying a used one since I can't yet afford new. My problems are as follows:

  1. Power steering out. Not just at slow speeds, the car requires massive effort even at high speeds to turn.
  2. Multiple warning lights on. They just started burning the last time I started the car. These lights include the oil temp, battery, brake, and tail light warnings. The check engine light is not on, and the engine sounds normal.
  3. Fan belt going out. I know this isn't a difficult fix, but I don't have the arm strength to do it properly.

So what do you think, repair or replace? If I replace, can you give me some good advice on what to look for and look at so I don't get a lemon for a car? Thanks for the help folks

Tom

Reply to
Tom Andrecht

Junk it. Find another car that you like and pay an impartial technician to thoroughly go over it.

Reply to
« Paul »

Fix the fan belt, that may be the cause of all your other problems.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

Replace the fan belt first, and if it uses a tensioner, inspect that. Could be the root of all your problems....

Reply to
Raymond J. Henry

It doesn't take a 'genius' to tell you all your symptoms just mean the fan belt has fallen off....

Mike

Mike Romain