Sanden compressor question

I'm thinking of adding A/C to my old Studebaker, the easiest way seems to be with the factory Stude bracket and pulleys (which I have) and an adapter plate for a Sanden 508 style compressor. The stock setup used a York compressor but I can't use one in my application because it is a '55 coupe and the hood is very low. Because of the low hood I am wondering if it matters which way the compressor is oriented, i.e. it looks like the fittings on the back of the compressor are supposed to point up but would it be a problem if I rotated the whole thing 90 degrees or would I be risking lockup from liquid collecting where there should be gas or something like that? Also most of the ones I see look like they are set up for dual V-belts, was there ever a clutch made with a single V-belt pulley? Again, the farther forward the pulley goes, the closer it gets to my very low hood. Or would it be OK to run a single belt in the front groove? It seems that it would be preferable to use the rear one, if I had the choice.

Finally, who is a good source for a universal style condenser and receiver/dryer? I know that that part at least will have to be all custom.

I don't know a whole lot about A/C, sorry if this is basic stuff.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Agreed, or a Seltec.

The round-body compressors have better manners anyhow.

Get a compressor with rear-face fittings, then it won't matter.

No. The only time there'll be liquid refrigerant at the compressor is if the system is MASSIVELY overcharged (theoretically -- things'll blow up/blow off long before this happens), or if the attending tech is using improper refrigerant charging procedure. At the compressor, cold gas enters the low-side fitting; hot gas leaves the high-side fitting. It doesn't turn into liquid until it hits the condenser, which is downstream of the compressor, and it is turned back into gas in the evaporator, which is upstream of the compressor.

LOTS of different clutch pulley setups available.

are extremely helpful people and they keep an immense stock of parts, both universal and application-specific. Get a parallel-flow condenser.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Go here:

and ask. Those guys are really good about answering questions.

Reply to
M.M.