Rattling sound in transmission

I have a 1999 Honda Accord and suddenly I'm noticing a rattling sound coming from my transmission. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Fernando Pena

You might take look at the exhaust heat shields before you do anything rash about the transmission.

-jim

Reply to
jim

jim wrote in news:cu-dnfCEzvcoXcXXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

What he said.

Get underneath and start tapping the shields with your fingertip. The rattly ones will be very obvious. I find ordinary worm-type hose clamps do wonders for shutting them up.

Reply to
Tegger

spend the money for the "all stainless" ones so you don't have to redo your repair...

oddly enough the ones in your FLAPS likely aren't, but the ones sold at Home Despot likely *are.*

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Does it happen when you are moving or also when you are stopped? Does it happen with the clutch out or just with the clutch in? If you hold the gearshift, does it stop? Is it in all gears or just some?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

All mine come from hardware stores. And I guess since they're really meant for plumbing (they're found in the plumbing department), they all seem to be stainless.

If you're trying to wrap them around something really thick -- like a catalytic converter -- you can even join a couple of long ones together.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:h3apfm$j27$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

OP never said what kinda engine or tranny...

'99 V6 Accords were among those with the self-destruct feature built into the autos.

Reply to
Tegger

Those trannies were armored tanks compared to the 03 Accord intro* of the 5 speed version. Which ain't sayin' much :-)

  • Acura debuted it first but the Accord put it out there for the masses to guinea pig.
Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Your car is an old Honda beater, what do you expect? Most likely the heat balls have become dislodged and are now running loose in the transmission. Fill the transmission with a mixture of good quality hardwood saw dust and sewing machine oil.

Reply to
Marcus

Heat balls?

How do you suggest the OP assess the quality of hardwood sawdust before being certain it will fix the noise in his parallel shaft automatic transaxle?

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO