Re: 1997 Caravan (Rad Failure) transmission full of coolant

I phoned a few transmission repair shops, and was given some advice. They obviously suggested that it be flushed out, and one of them recommended that its better to flush the transmission by disconnecting the cooling lines, and filling the tranny from the top while running the engine. This was said to be better than using an external pump because the transmission will pump itself out and get into the crevices which would not happen with an external flush system.

Which is best ? External forced flush system, or using the transmission itself to pump out the sludge until the lines squirt clean fluid out ?

Assuming the latter, should I place the transmission into all gears while flushing to allow the fluid to get all the areas clean ?

Either way, I want to put on a new transmission filter, a new rad, and flush out the engine coolant system.

Comments/advice/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks !

I need some advice. My 1997 Caravan 3.0 V6 215k kms just puked a mixture of > transmission fluid and coolant all over the place. > > Wife was driving to store, and complained it wasn't shifting properly. She > turned around and came home. Once at home it puked this mixture out the > overflow reservoir onto the ground. > > I've since removed the radiator and tested the transmission exchanger, which > leaks as expected. That appears to be root cause for the failure. > > Have also drained the transmission, which was full to the brim with what > looked like chocolate milk (a mixture of transmission fluid and engine > coolant). > > To remedy the problem, I want to replace the rad, have the transmission > flushed at a local shop with new filter etc, and flush the engine cooling > system of course. From that point I was going to cross my fingers and hope > the transmission survived. > > What other areas should I be looking at for potential damage ? Items to > check prior to re-assembly (engine components in cooling system damaged) ? > > Lastly, this is an OEM radiator that has only been flushed once or twice > since new (bad me...bad me). Is this failure scenario one that is "common", > or happens relatively frequently (I do have poor preventative maintenance > techniques) ? > > Can I expect that flushing out the system will be enough ? ...OR.. Should I > bite the bullet and get a transmission rebuild (remember the year of vehicle > and my desire to spend the fewest $$) ? > > Any advice, comments, thoughts from the experts (I am not one of them) that > can guide me during my re-assembly would be appreciated. > > Many thanks ! > >
Reply to
AMD Rules