Re: 4.3L GM engine question

When I got mine replaced at about 100k miles I specified a new part >because "God knows we don't want to do this again!", I said. Guess >what, it failed in two weeks.

Yep, I've changing out the alternator 5 or 6 times in the past 7 yrs (the Factory Alt lasted about 6 yrs., but non of the others have last nearly as long) on my '90 Cutlass, which has made me rather indifferent to the very idea of moving (rotating) the entire engine "forward" in order to work on it. To do various (somewhat routine or should I say "normal") jobs such as: changing the spark plugs and/or wires on the back 3 cylinders, changing the PVC, changing the O2 sensor and changing the alternator (not to mention access to all of the Vacuum controlled accessories) requires pulling the entire engine forward about a 5", then put the bracket bolt into a different location on the engine bracket in order to hold it in place.

Reply to
Rick Colombo

| > When I got mine replaced at about 100k miles I specified a new part | >because "God knows we don't want to do this again!", I said. Guess | >what, it failed in two weeks. | |Yep, I've changing out the alternator 5 or 6 times in the past 7 yrs |(the Factory Alt lasted about 6 yrs., but non of the others have last |nearly as long)

When the alternator failed on my '92 Astro at around 100K, I took it to a local alternator/generator shop and specified they only change the failed part. They understood and agreed, changed the rear bearing, and it worked fine for another

155K miles. Cost me $100 IIRC
Reply to
Rex B