Re: 97 Suburban major engine problem

I did something like that on my motorcycle... I over oiled the K&N air filter, instant plug fouling and it barely idled, giving it gas would make the engine bog real bad. I removed and re cleaned/oiled the filter and it still ran crappy. My spark plugs were blackened and fouled to the point that even with a clean filter it wouldn't run. Replaced the fouled plugs and fixed it right up. Have you replaced the spark plugs?

Reply to
Tzihuac

I'd have to check a diagnostic chart and don't have one here. So,it's running rich,like it's cold.Does it have a MAT sensor.If it indicates the manifold temp is freezing the comp will richen the mixture.You may not have had it running long enough to set code. Just a guess. Good luck.

wws

scanner.

engine...it ran

re-started and

diagnose the

compression

something to

appreciate

Reply to
wws

Follow up to all that have helped and anyone else interested...........After checking the compression I found that on the left head the compressions were

60lb., 140, 90, and 120. On the right all cylinders were 185lb. I have a new long block ordered and have the engine removed. The only thing that I am still worried about is what caused this to happen in the first place? I am very suspecious that the damage was caused by water getting onto the MAF sensor, shorting it out, and changing the settings in the ECM, that in turn caused the engine to run way out of time.

great.......until

Reply to
My Name

interested...........After

My father in law routinely pours water into the carb of his 366 chevy, while running, to decarbonize the combustion chambers. Old school mechanics have been doing this for many many years. There are other commercially available products that are designed to be used the same way. I think it is highly unlikely that he hydrolocked his engine with a damp air filter.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

I've done that also. He didn't do that.

I think that when he started the engine, the differential air pressure across the soaking-wet paper filter (that was NEVER intended to get wet in the first place) caused a substantial slug of water to be ingested into the engine at a very low RPM. Perfect conditions for hydraulic lock. Just guessing, I'd say that a typical pleated paper air filter, saturated, might hold close to cup of water (remember there is a LOT of paper in there and its very porous to start with). If just HALF of that was suddenly sucked into the engine on start-up, the potential for disaster is huge.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
My Name

If you are curious about the source of the low compression. Since you've done a compression test, a wet compression test would tell you if the problem is with the rings or not and may indicate a problem with the valves or head gasket.

Remove the spark plugs. Pour some engine oil (several tablespoons) into one of the low reading holes and crank the engine for a few seconds. Insert the compression tester in that hole and read it after cranking again. If the readings increase substantially, the problem is caused by leaking rings (or cylinder bore). Repeat the process for the other cylinders.

Reply to
saeengineer