97 Blazer service engine light

Twice within the last year my "Service Engine Soon" light has come on. The first time it happened my mechanic said that when he started it the light was off. He hooked it up to the computer anyway and nothing appeared to be wrong. My "Air Bag" light has also come on a couple of times. I had that checked out also and no error codes were reported. When my "Service Engine Light" came on again recently I decided to wait a couple of weeks before I had it checked out. Now it has turned off. Also, occasionally when I turn the key to the accessory position it will take 5-30 seconds for all of the indicator lights to turn on. The vehicle will not start unless the lights come on. The vehicle has never not started, but it makes me think that something bad is going to happen soon. Does anyone have any advice about what is causing this problem? Thanks.

Reply to
ddh_09

Check your connections to the battery, the starter, the fusable links on the firewall, and most importantly - all the ground wires.

Reply to
Kra Z Joe

the other thing I forgot to mention was that twice the vehicle has completely lost all power while I have been driving. Both times it has re-started immediately. This morning, I talked to a mechanic at the local GM dealer and he told me that it could be the ignition switch, but he could not guarantee it. Before I plunk down $250.00 on this repair, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on this? I also read that '97 Blazers are notorious for bad ignition switches. Any opinions would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
ddh_09

Do it , I've had the same problems 4 times and it's always the the switch.

Reply to
Candy

see my reply to the other "got problems" post above.as yours. A good cleaning will solve that old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman